Critique a few of my shots.

StarQrider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am nothing close to a professional but I do my best! Please be easy on me though :wink:. I have never taken any kind of class or anything, i guess I taught myself.

light.jpg

Hey! :O)

I'm a self-taught (so far) newbie....but here is what I think...

Basically, I like it! I wonder though if you could crop a little off the top, so that there is just a little more water (below the breakwall) than sky. (There is more detail in the water--from the reflection, than there is in the sky.)

Also, I think you might try to crop a little off of the right hand side--just to set the lighthout a little off centre.

Not sure if the lighthouse could be a little crisper??

All in all....not bad! :O)

i think the lighting is a bit too harsh (at least the sunny side seems a touch overexposed on my noncalibrated monitor) and it really bothers me that the lighthouse doesn't appear vertical... i'm not even sure if you can fix it, since it appears the lighthouse isn't perpendicular to the horizon... but i'd at least make one of those 2 things happen, make the horizon straight and/or make the lighthouse vertical...

too much dead sky that doesn't add anything on top... i'd crop the top. i'd even consider taking some of the left off the photo too...

possibly if you could have a slightly longer exposure (yes i said shorter before, but change the aperture to compensate) to soften the water in front, so the reflection isn't as choppy?

keep trying, it's a learning process :)

There is too much sky. Crop, zoom or move closer. Try at a different time of day...closer to sunrise or sunset so the lighting isn't so harsh. Maybe try different POV's to get closer to the rule of thirds. There's a good photo lurking around the lighthouse somewhere, you just have to find it.

For some reason I dont like the horizon centered, I think I would like it better if the lighthouse was straight. I agree on the crop as well.

Well the horizon ain't really centered, the light house is(horizontally) let me tell you one thing I noticed almost, it's the grad. from dark deep blue to sky blue which is something I like about this photo. I do have astigmatism(not severe) and I look and think there's something wrong with the lines here, but it could be just my eyes.

The negative space up isn't helping or adding much to it. Something is wrong with the balance of the photograph. Also the rule of thirds could have worked well here, because there are parts of the pier(english isn't my first nor second language I donno what else to call it) that are uninteresting, in a way showing the water space between the pier and the end of the frame is annoying, it's tight.

I will not repeat what others have said, but an off topic question because I didn't take a lesson or a course either, I've been on books and photography forums and online resources(not this one, I am also new here). How are you teaching yourself(exchanging some experience, that's all).

Most reactions

Back