Critique Galleries now open!

Since everyone seems to like this forum the best, why not create a new beginners forum with stricter rules and just call this one "The break room" since people use this forum for kind of a general hang out for all types of threads anyway. Probably dumb just throwing it out there :lol:

350px-Stupid_cat_3.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :biglaugh:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

EVERYTHING ELSE IN LIFE IS INVALID!!!!!!!!!!

Since everyone seems to like this forum the best, why not create a new beginners forum with stricter rules and just call this one "The break room" since people use this forum for kind of a general hang out for all types of threads anyway. Probably dumb just throwing it out there :lol:

Because then everyone else would just migrate to the new beginner's section and ignore the rules just like we do now.

I vote for getting RID of all the stupid sub-sections and just having a friggin' critique section.

But that'll never happen.

Actually I have put forward the motion to have beginners renamed into "general" however it was decided that beginners was a subsection that is rather in demand and thus required, esp by many of our new members - and we didn't want to introduce another generalist subsection as well as.

However beginners does have a specific aim and intention, shifting many of the general chatty threads out of it its hoped that not only can beginners focus back on its main purpose, but also help promote usage of other areas of the site. At present its "popular" to treat beginners as the dumping ground - its a behaviour pattern we don't really want to encourage since it leads to a single section with a very fast turnover of new threads, which can quickly end up smothering those legitimate threads using the section.

ps = I've also campaigned to have a critique section added - however many of the more long term mods have memories of the critique sections in the past and how badly they ended. At present however we DO somewhat have critique - we've got beginners for entry level and we've the stated galleries for topic based photography and critique - its not like critique is banned on the site ;)

The only other thing would be, and probably wouldn't make people happy because people don't like the multiple forums anyway, is to have to two beginners forums. Leave this one as it is, as a general discussion,CC and gallery and then have a beginners Q&A section specifically for beginner questions.

I think there needs to be a separate beginner's gallery in the gallery section, and have this forum as just questions about specific areas. Perhaps the Galleries section should be higher up the page since people seem unwilling to scroll down. have it below foundations forum.

Lightspeed, looking at your insect pics you are far too proficient to be a beginner.

Lightspeed thinks he's a beginner?!?!?! That makes me the equivalent of a toddler with a camera then--just picking it up, chewing on it and banging it around until I accidentally happen to trigger the shutter. I've been doing photography, to some degree, for over 30 years, and I called myself a "beginner" when I came on here, because I saw the quality of work of some of you--including Lightspeed--and knew I didn't measure up--plus I *was* a beginner at DSLR cameras.

I think someone should start a poll thread to see who thinks Lightspeed should be voted OFF the Beginner Island! :lol:

Oooohhhhh... this is getting interesting! lol!

Lightspeed thinks he's a beginner?!?!?! That makes me the equivalent of a toddler with a camera then--just picking it up, chewing on it and banging it around until I accidentally happen to trigger the shutter. I've been doing photography, to some degree, for over 30 years, and I called myself a "beginner" when I came on here, because I saw the quality of work of some of you--including Lightspeed--and knew I didn't measure up--plus I *was* a beginner at DSLR cameras.

I think someone should start a poll thread to see who thinks Lightspeed should be voted OFF the Beginner Island! :lol:

Everyone knows, if you want the most comments, you post in the beginner forum.
That's why it's the dump.

I don't choose the threads I read by the forums they are in; I usually just hit "new posts" and click on titles that seem interesting. I don't see why putting photos in the 'galleries' forum would get less views or comments? I always choose the beginner section because I am just a mwac and I have much to learn!! I figured the galleries section was for 'pro' work....work worthy of a gallery :D!

And Lightspeed, you are surely above beginner skill level. Perhaps we need a "not a beginner but not yet a pro" sub section? :lol:

Great, the kick LightSpeed off the beginner forum , poll.
And then there's Gipson cheerleading the event.

Ok here it is. I don't think I'm that good.
I think I've gotten better, don't get me wrong.
When I see the works of CC. Lockwood, EricD, Carlos58, and quite a few others, including Gipson ( at times), Sparky, GsGary, RON EVERS, and yes as much as I hate to admit it SOME of Bitter Jewelers stuff, even tho I'm not real big
on abstract, I know my place.

I never did comment on the natural light photographer thread for a reason. It is because up until recently, that's all I did.
I just started playing with flash, and I'm not very good with it, yet. As evidenced by some of the glazed CRAP I posted ( the beetle) , not very long ago.
I have a professional system on preorder, in the Nikon D4 with accessories for macro, because I've been wanting a full frame camera for a while.
Not because I think I'm pro, because I wanted the best image quality attainable for those times when I do pick up a decent shot.
Then of course I'll be starting all over learning a new camera, which I can pretty much assure you won't be pretty.
I don't even know if I made the right decision with that considering everythings going to change. The field of view, the depth of field, focal lengths, etc etc.
I'm not even sure that full frame is the route to take for macro stuff, or wildlife, birds in flight and all that good stuff, which is where I usually am with this.

I still make mistakes. I still don't have all the equipment I'd like to have and I still learn a bunch of stuff from all of you.
I'll even admit , even tho I'm not egotistical or anything that the ohhhhh's and ahhhhh's in beginners is pretty cool.

But to poll me out of the Beginners forum?????
COME ON! THAT'S NOT FAIR!

Look, LSpeed. Blah blah, been there, went through it.
People complained about my posting in the Dump, and was forced out. I still felt, and I still do feel I am (well, maybe now "advanced" beginner) a beginner. I have a pretty firm grasp of the artistic side, but not the tech side. That's why I rarely comment on tech stuff.

So suck it up buddy. :p

I hated it in the gallery section at first. Very, very few comments. So, I would post in the beginner section and get quite few. It sucks. It does. But if we are all adament about posting in the right sections, the place does get better.

The thing is, I think the majority of new people, just go to the beginner section, and those that have been here a while follow the forums via the "New Post" link. So yeah, fewer views. Whatcha gonna do? There are others that need to learn where to post their off topic, and just for fun, and photographic discussions, instead of the dump. But I won't call out blackrose on that. She'll figure it out eventually.

Rummage away in the 'dump' but it's disingenuous to post there unless a beginner or helping a beginner. I do firmly believe that the galleries are buried too low down the forum if they were moved near the top I think they would get more attention and the forum would work better. At the moment it's a ghost town because it's virtually at the bottom. What do you say Overread and Bigmike? Move the galleries up!

Most reactions

Back