2. Bison
IMG_68000.jpg

3. Owl
IMG_9869_2.jpg

4. Baby bunny
IMG_07500.jpg

5. Baby snapper
IMG_75740.jpg

I really love the colours in all the photos, especially the first one.

I feel like the composition could be improved however. The subject in all of them seems to be right in the middle of the picture, apart from the last one. In that one, my eye is drawn to the eye of the turtle, and that's nicely off centre!

For example, I would have used a wider angle for the rabbit picture to isolate it and make it seem smaller. Also, because it's looking towards the left of the picture, it would make sense to put it on the right so that it's looking into the space on the left, rather than out of the picture. For example, this is one crop I'd do to improve it slightly:

wabbit.jpg

Similarly, with the bison, I'd have zoomed in as close as possible and used a low angle to emphasise its size! Obviously with an animal that large I imagine it'd be pretty dangerous getting too close so you're of course limited in what you can do!

Please note I am a complete beginner myself so I am only giving advice and tips on what I would try to think of myself if I was taking these pictures!

Last edited:

I feel like the composition could be improved however. The subject in all of them seems to be right in the middle of the picture, apart from the last one. In that one, my eye is drawn to the eye of the turtle, and that's nicely off centre!

Thank you grantjames :D

I will keep your pointers on composition in mind for future shots :D

Edited my post with a little more advice! :D

Edited my post with a little more advice! :D

Thank you again :D

Hey Thunder :) they are nice shots! I can't add much more than has already been mentioned. The exposures and colours are beautiful, the crops leave something to be desired (this is coming from the queen of the bad crop lol)
Love the bunny and squirrel, the second crop on the bunny is great and the squirrel needs some nose room.

Hey Thunder :) they are nice shots! I can't add much more than has already been mentioned. The exposures and colours are beautiful, the crops leave something to be desired (this is coming from the queen of the bad crop lol)
Love the bunny and squirrel, the second crop on the bunny is great and the squirrel needs some nose room.

Thank you PixelRabbit :D

I spend so much of my time in the world of macro and high mag photography (the rule of thirds does not apply in the same way) that it is good for me to get this feed back on my non mag photography.

Most are really nice, well exposed snap shots. The only ones that I would call a solid photographs are the re-cropped rabbit, and the snapper, which is extremely well done. Hope you can see the difference, and understand what I'm tryin gto point out.

Most are really nice, well exposed snap shots. The only ones that I would call a solid photographs are the re-cropped rabbit, and the snapper, which is extremely well done. Hope you can see the difference, and understand what I'm tryin gto point out.

I welcome the input. I am a little surprised at the term 'snapshot' (except for the owl shot, that was an attempt at humor) being used with these shots, but if it fits it fits.
The bison shot I thought was a solid shot, with the foreground sharp leading through the subject to a slight BG blur to isolate the subject, without loosing the herd in the BG. Thought the framing was correct as well.

Could be that I am blinded by all the PP work that I did on it, I normally don't bring that up, because it is the final image that is important not all the work that it took to create. The whole walking through snow, up hill, both ways, with my little sister on my back bit :lol:

One of the things that concerns me is there is a common tendency on every forum that I have been a member of, and that is it seems that people are afraid to point out flaws in other people photos. Many times I do not comment on a photo because there are five comments already saying what a great shot it is, when it is blurry or burned out or has some other glaring problem. Then there are the people that get hurt if you make suggestions on how to improve the shot.

It's the image. I welcome feedback, it is important, especially when the photographer thinks that the shots are good solid shots (like in this thread) and they are not.

Please keep it up.

This is the un-prosessed shot of the bison.

IMG_68000-1.jpg

Sorry that the term snap shot was some what unsettling. Snap shots are simply pictures to capture memories and or things of interest. They aren't necessarily well composed/exposed photographs. As I pointed out your snapping turtle is a solid photograph, while your squirrel and bison are snapshots. Composition often makes the difference. Your rabbit picture in my terms is a snap shot, while the edit now is more a photograph in terms of composition.

As for your statement that you can't offer your opinions if they differ from others, you certainly can and should. Just explain your position so that others can understand why you feel that way. Remember that photography is half objective and half subjective.

Last edited:
I'm glad you have such an open mind. :)

In the first one, the hair on the back of the squirrel seems OOF. that bothers me. The Bison's picture seems a little over-processed. But other than that, its a great shot! How far were you from the Bison? I might go to Yellowstone this July and I'm hoping to get some nice Bison shots. We'll see. The rest of them look great. The owl one is funny as a good sense of humor way! :lol:

One of the things that concerns me is there is a common tendency on every forum that I have been a member of, and that is it seems that people are afraid to point out flaws in other people photos. Many times I do not comment on a photo because there are five comments already saying what a great shot it is,

Last edited:
I'm glad you have such an open mind. :)

In the first one, the hair on the back of the squirrel seems OOF. that bothers me. The Bison's picture seems a little over-processed. But other than that, its a great shot! How far were you from the Bison? I might go to Yellowstone this July and I'm hoping to get some nice Bison shots. We'll see. The rest of them look great. The owl one is funny as a good sense of humor way! :lol:

One of the things that concerns me is there is a common tendency on every forum that I have been a member of, and that is it seems that people are afraid to point out flaws in other people photos. Many times I do not comment on a photo because there are five comments already saying what a great shot it is,

Shuttervelocity, could you please correct your quote, as I'm not the one who made that statement. It was made by Thunder_O_B

Thanks

Most reactions

Back