Cropped vs Full Frame Sensor

JamieR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't researched this, but could someone list the differences between them?

And what are the advantages of having a full frame sensor?

Cheers,
Jamie

For Nikon: a full frame sensor is physically 24x36mm (same as 35mm film) and is called FX. The cropped sensor is physically 16x24mm and is called DX. The DX sensor is slightly less than half the size of the FX. That's a start.

I haven't researched this, but.......
Now it's your turn........ :mrgreen:

I'd rather get quick and short answers from a forum than researching pages after pages of crap and still not understanding it lol

So, you want someone else to do all the work for you?:lol: The details are in the crap and the details is where a true understanding resides.

Where's that EASY button?

No, i don't expect someone else to go and research it for me, just someone who already understands it to give an answer.

Hi Jamie, a crop sensor is just that. It crops the image for you vs the full frame sensors you get the full image. I'm not fully understanding it either, but that is the gist of my understanding. ;) I just received my Canon camera myself.

My question is, is what we see in the viewfinder what we get, or is what we see get cropped off thus what we see is not what we get? If y'all got that. LOL I suppose I shall find out soon.

I personally don't like a camera that will crop my images for me since I can do that myself. The first camera in the Canon lineup that is full frame is the 5d and that is well over $2K. And that is on my wish list! :mrgreen:

No, i don't expect someone else to go and research it for me, just someone who already understands it to give an answer.

All of us came to know it by researching, yet when it comes time for you to do the same, you are unwilling? You are gonna have to be willing to do some research to get the best out of this hobby.

Short answer is that the full frame sensor is about twice the size as a crop sensor. If you want to understand why the size of the sensor is such a big difference you could do a quick google search. There are many factors as to why full frame is better than a crop sensor.

All of us came to know it by researching, yet when it comes time for you to do the same, you are unwilling? You are gonna have to be willing to do some research to get the best out of this hobby.

Short answer is that the full frame sensor is about twice the size as a crop sensor. If you want to understand why the size of the sensor is such a big difference you could do a quick google search. There are many factors as to why full frame is better than a crop sensor.

I have researched a lot, but if I'm honest, tonight, i really can't be bothered. Which is why i asked on here.

Hi Jamie, a crop sensor is just that. It crops the image for you vs the full frame sensors you get the full image. I'm not fully understanding it either, but that is the gist of my understanding. ;) I just received my Canon camera myself.

My question is, is what we see in the viewfinder what we get, or is what we see get cropped off thus what we see is not what we get? If y'all got that. LOL I suppose I shall find out soon.

I personally don't like a camera that will crop my images for me since I can do that myself. The first camera in the Canon lineup that is full frame is the 5d and that is well over $2K. And that is on my wish list! :mrgreen:

It is and isn't cropping the sensor. Imagine a 10"x10" piece of paper. Now cut a 2-3 inches off around all 4 corners and you have what you see with a crop sensor (with the same lens on each camera). Now throw a wider lens on it and you can now see the 10"x10" section with the crop sensor....however, the image doesn't have as much data because the uncropped image would be a 12x12.

I don't know if that's a good explanation or if I just made it more confusing. It is cropping the image compared to a full frame sensor, but it's not really the same (at least in my mind) as cropping in post processing. (Oh, and my numbers above were all for example and are not the actual relative amounts).

Like I said before, there are many advantages to a full frame, many of which I don't even know off hand. Higher ISO performance is a biggie though.

Edit: I see I ended up doing my best of spoon feeding after all.

Another question......

Are you asking about a CCD (Charge Coupled Device) or a CMOS (Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) for the cropped sensor?

Well I'm sorry for working a 14 hour shift, coming home, and not wanting to do research. You didn't have to answer the question did you.

Isn't this what a "beginners" forum is for.

It is and isn't cropping the sensor. Imagine a 10"x10" piece of paper. Now cut a 2-3 inches off around all 4 corners and you have what you see with a crop sensor (with the same lens on each camera). Now throw a wider lens on it and you can now see the 10"x10" section with the crop sensor....however, the image doesn't have as much data because the uncropped image would be a 12x12.

Well my understanding was correct. Thank you.

Edit: I see I ended up doing my best of spoon feeding after all.

Excuse me but the sentence above is rather rude and is a waste of bandwidth. I was not asking for data. If you re-read my post it says, "I suppose I shall find out soon.", after my rhetorical question.

I want to truly thank you for making me feel so welcome after my first post.

Crop sensor is a mis-nomer; it really doesn't crop anything.

Draw a circle and put a big square in the middle, and a smaller square inside that..

The circle is what the lens "sees", the big square is what is exposed on a full frame, and the small square is what is exposed on a smaller sensor.

If you look at both those images in an 8x10 print (for example), you would have had to enlarge the smaller image more than the full frame image.. Since the small image was only a portion of the larger image, the 8x10 print would appear as if it were from a longer lens; therefore appear to be a "crop" of what the full frame image sees.

But nothing was actually cropped...the image is full resolution for the sensor used.

well jamie... maybe you are not the only one with a tight schedule. and you get from this forum what you put in it. no body owes it to you to answer questions. and maybe if you expressed the matter differently i am sure someone would have helped you but the way you expressed it makes me feel like you don't want to waste your time when someone else can do it for you! i don't mean to be rude, just realistic

Most reactions

New Topics

Back