Cropping-Framing In Camera or in PP?

Thanks for yet another educational link. There are so many and some stand out. This one was tops. As I surfed off the original and into details on the site, I found this last sentence. Yet another difference in the way to think, between digital and film.

Base the exposure on the highlight for a digital camera, and a mid-tone (e.g. 18% gray card) for a film camera.

The article could be named Histograms Demystified. Easy to understand.

I prefer to get it right in the camera. Usually the stuff that I print isn’t too big but I just hate the idea that all the post processing will cut away at my 10.2 mega pixels. I also like to get it right at first because you should some what know what type of shot your trying to get. The only time I know I am going to do a lot of post processing cropping is when I am using my telephoto and just want to crop out a bird or something.

I haven't read the link but if you have the ability, set your camera to show the red/green/blue histograms. They are much better than just the single one in that you sometimes will blow out a single color and still have the exposure showing it's right in the single.

Almost every time I find myself cropping an image during printing, I wish that I had actually composed for the final crop.

More and more magazines today are changing to the 3:2 ratio for all of the reasons you all gave above. I just did a shoot for "Style Monte Carlo" magazine which publishes in an almost perfect A4 format or 3:2 sensor ratio. It seems that there are many pro shooters using this format and as a result, the magazines are responding. My ideal ratio is the 6:4.5 format. It just feels so much better viscerally. I hate having to constantly think about cropping my image in camera knowing that it will have to be done for most standard public print formats.

Ben

My ideal ratio is the 6:4.5 format. It just feels so much better viscerally. I hate having to constantly think about cropping my image in camera knowing that it will have to be done for most standard public print formats.

Agreed, totally

In portrait orientation the 3:2 is wrong for the human figure. If one comes close to filling the frame side to side, there is just too awkwardly much of the torso.

In landscape, it works better for 'stuff.'

I would suggest that those of us who have a bunch of portrait-aspect portraits show them cropped to 4.5/6 (or 4x5) and 4 x 6 for comparison.

Most reactions

Back