What's new

curves and line

KenC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
5,699
Reaction score
1,472
Location
Philadelphia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to D.C. last weekend and took this in a Metro station ...



shad012513.jpg
 
I live in Maryland, work in DC and ride the Metro into town every day. I always look at the ceilings inside the Metro stations and think it would make for an interesting photograph, but I've never taken the time to actually photograph it.
 
Being a curves and lines kind of person, too, I like it.
 
I think the only improvement on this shot would be the composition. The rays of light lead my eye right out of the photo. I think if the negative space was on the left and the rays were coming in from the right, this photo would have more impact.
 
I live in Maryland, work in DC and ride the Metro into town every day. I always look at the ceilings inside the Metro stations and think it would make for an interesting photograph, but I've never taken the time to actually photograph it.

You should come to Philly and ride the trains here - you'd probably see some interesting stuff that I don't notice or haven't taken the time to photograph!

Thanks to everyone for commenting.

Krisztina - do you mean I should flip it left-right?
 
Nice shot Ken!
It feels a bit unbalanced, maybe a bit too much dark on the top right, though. Not sure if a crop down from the top & right side would give it more impact?
 
Krisztina - do you mean I should flip it left-right?

No. I meant if the original photo had been framed with the rays coming in from the lower right corner and streking across the photo at the same angle. Exiting the upper left like you have here. Only with more "empty" space on the left side of the photo.

Does that make sense? I can explain better by demonstrating but you have editing Not OK in your profile.
 
Krisztina - do you mean I should flip it left-right?

No. I meant if the original photo had been framed with the rays coming in from the lower right corner and streking across the photo at the same angle. Exiting the upper left like you have here. Only with more "empty" space on the left side of the photo.

Does that make sense? I can explain better by demonstrating but you have editing Not OK in your profile.

Yes, it does. I would have done that if there hadn't been an escalator to the left. This was the best angle there was, but perhaps it still wasn't that good. Re your other message, most of us are, and frequently, but in this case you're not.
 
Nice shot Ken!
It feels a bit unbalanced, maybe a bit too much dark on the top right, though. Not sure if a crop down from the top & right side would give it more impact?

Thanks BlackSheep! It seems Krisztina had a similar opinion. I'll go back and take a look at it. Initially I didn't want to cut off the concrete seam and the line of holes, but one always has to make compromises I suppose.
 
I too am a sucker for curves, lines and light! Nice!
I too am bothered by the composition. The lines are very abrupt because they are pulling back in to the bottom left corner and trapping the eye there. Perhaps try flipping it left onto it's side and taking about 1/3 off the top above the dark line. This way it elongates the lines and lets them flow through the frame, it also gives it a duality of which way the curve goes!
 
I too am a sucker for curves, lines and light! Nice!
I too am bothered by the composition. The lines are very abrupt because they are pulling back in to the bottom left corner and trapping the eye there. Perhaps try flipping it left onto it's side and taking about 1/3 off the top above the dark line. This way it elongates the lines and lets them flow through the frame, it also gives it a duality of which way the curve goes!

Thanks for the suggestion. I can almost visualize it and it seems interesting. I may try flipping it to the right as well.
 
I too am a sucker for curves, lines and light! Nice!
I too am bothered by the composition. The lines are very abrupt because they are pulling back in to the bottom left corner and trapping the eye there. Perhaps try flipping it left onto it's side and taking about 1/3 off the top above the dark line. This way it elongates the lines and lets them flow through the frame, it also gives it a duality of which way the curve goes!

OK, Judi, how's this? Thanks for the suggestion - works for me.


shad012513p2fr_zps11b0774a.jpg
 
I like the flow of this composition much better, very nice!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom