Cypress tress on the lake... (C&C)

MonicaBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
More north of south, but more south of north.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some SOOC images I took yesterday.

I definitely had a vision when I was shooting these, but I'm not quite sure I got what I was going for. I was shooting these from the dock, so I was limited in where I could shoot from.

I slowed down the SS and ISO in order to create a misty appearance to the water while trying to capture the integrity of the trees. I was hoping to create an image that I could give to my stepmom (whose house I was at when I shot these) for her birthday. In hindsight, I should have bumped up the ISO to reduce some of the overexposure.

I think they'd look better in B&W, so I am going to fiddle around in LR4.

With what you see here, can you give me ideas and C&C for future shots like these?

Thanks.

1.)
ISO 100
SS 3s
f/32
65mm

7390213412_96dd01f35f_c.jpg

2.)
ISO 100
SS 3s
f/32
28mm
(This one sucks because the house is in the background.)

7390221282_561e8d6f98_c.jpg

3.)
ISO 100
SS 4s
f/32
52mm

7390204908_8a473c885e_c.jpg

The house is not as bothersome as that massive ball of fire known as the sun. These are all way too bright/overexposed to me.

Well, I don't think bumping the iso would help. Why shooting at 3s?

I mis understood your "misty" look for actual mist in the sky, not silky water.

If you want the silky water look, you are going to have very much difficulty shooting into the sun, as the ss needs to be much slower than 3s generally (with that much sunlight), unless you get some fillters. Wait for sunset and try. I personally found it easier at sunrise than sunset when I was getting some silky water shots.

that is a nice scene, so without the sun in the way, I think you could get some great shots out of it.

What filter would you have used here? If I had an ND filter, I would have used that, but my concern then would have been profound underexposure with the way I was positioned to shoot. I think I have a CP & UV filter in my bag, but neither of them would have helped here, right?

neutral density filter would help greatly, the other two, not so much.

I like the third one best as far as the scene. Grab shots starting at around 30 minutes before sunset, or sunrise, and take shots incrementally until sunset or sunrise. and see how the difference in light affects what settings you need to use.

This is exactly what I did and when I noticed that I like morning best. I was able to get smooth silky water at just settings not so extreme.

I am guessing this is the kinda "mist" look you want around the trees? This is not a great image, but I am guessing it would look good around those trees.

That was f/32 ss 6s at iso 100. water was running pretty fast in river and sun was just a tad below horizon.

$DSC_0137.jpg

I can't find my morning pictures, but I believe I was able to get silky water at f/8 and f/5 with ss in the low to mid seconds range. Just a different light in the am. If you want the sun blazing in through the image, then you will indeed need a nuetral density or even some black ice, but those are quite expensive.

Thank you!

I was sort of rushed through these, which is why I couldn't wait until later in the evening. I also kinda like the way the sun comes through the trees in #2, but I get how/why others wouldn't.

I did get a couple more that were shot about an hour after the first three (~8:30pm EST), but I'm not big on their composition. I don't know why I didn't just recompose what I'd already shot, but hindsight and all of that. Again, SOOC:

The ISO on these was 800, f/32 and SS 5s.

7390718906_7830358603_c.jpg

7390711464_41ff597816_c.jpg

Since you like the sunlight coming through, you really need a filter for that type of picture. If you have the means, take some time and read that whole article and look into the black ice. ;-)

Most reactions

Back