D300s vs D700

MelissaLaska

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so I'm looking at up grading and I'm leaning towards the D300s more in my price range but what is the difference between the D300s and D700. Why is the D700 significantly more expensive? I take a wide varity of pictures from high school seniors, family, children, real estate, to landscape. But mostly I want my pictures crisp!

Also, I have a spot on my sensor (D40) that I CAN NOT get off!!! I'm tired of photoshopping that out of EVERY picture. any suggestions on getting that off?!? I've tried basically the only thing I can do is blowing it off!

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

You will need to either have your D40 professionally cleaned ($40 on average) or buy a wet cleaning kit for sensors and do it yourself. Blowing doesn't always work, you still have to properly clean your sensor fairly regularly, especially if you're in a dusty environment and/or changes your lenses often.

The D700 is full frame while the D300 is a crop sensor. If the D700 is out of your price range don't sweat it, the D300 is a killer camera. If you don't know the difference between full frame and crop sensors or how they effect your photography, chances are you really don't need a full frame body right now so it's not really worth the expense, especially if it's going to break the bank.

Get your camera cleaned professionally, D300 is crop D700 is full frame...yadiyadiyada... Tempus covered it, I hate being late to the party.

+1?

Thanks guys! and I do not know what full frame or crop sensor is! but now I want to know. :)

You can find good info on google. hehe.
Crop sensor:
Canon Rebels, 40D, 50D, 7D
Nikon D40, D90, D300

Full frame:
Canon 5D, 1D (although there are half crop 1D models...)
Nikon D700, D3

The difference is that the sensor is bigger in the full frame. A bigger sensor means cleaner high ISO image capture (in the realm of 6400 ISO being clean compared to 1600 on a crop sensor), better contrast and image quality.

There is also a crop factor with the crop sensor cameras. The focal range on a crop camera is longer than on a full frame camera.
A 50mm lens shot on a full frame is 50mm
A 50mm lens shot on a Canon crop is 50mm x1.6 = 80mm
A 50mm lens shot on a Nikon crop is 50mm x1.5 = 75mm

So some sport and wildlife shooters prefer a crop camera as it makes their effective focal range longer.

"But mostly I want my pictures crisp"

What lenses are you using? You do know that for sharp and better image IQ will require better glass don't you? If your lenses are same or cheaper than your D40 body then you aren't getting the most for your images. Good glass is to be considered as just as important if not more than the cam body. No use shooting clean at 3200-6400 if you are using consumer grade lenses.

And sorry but all cams pretty much needing their images sharpened in post. Unless you are shooting just jpgs and using in camera sharpening.

As to cleaning you have to learn to do it yourself or pay a shop to do it. As I wet clean my sensor 2-4 times a year have learned to do it myself. Check out my cleaning posts links on my D40 blog I started for the beginner back in 07'. Hope there is something there to help you.

As to clean,sharp & crisp pictures. That is more about fast glass,technique and skills than a more expensive Fx or Dx camera. Clean Higher Iso helps but is not the answer.

Upgraded my kit lens to the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on my D40. And speed and Image IQ went up quite a bit. And found more usable indoors and lower light situations.

Purple Wet Series 4 by orb9220, on Flickr

Just bite the nail and get the D700. You may not be up to that level of using it's full potential, but it's very nice to have so you can grow with it. And since it's full frame, it's future prove and will last for many years.

Here's a funny read but very true! Pretty much explained my whole experience.
The Online Photographer: Letter to George

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back