D3300 upgrade

GazHolland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everybody
Need some help I have a D3300 and I’m very happy with the results I get i shoo sports and fast moving objects I tried the D7200 but found the image quality was no better
So what is an upgrade from a D3300 also I have the 24-120 F4 nano lens
Thanks
Gaz

Hi Everybody
Need some help I have a D3300 and I’m very happy with the results I get i shoo sports and fast moving objects I tried the D7200 but found the image quality was no better
So what is an upgrade from a D3300 also I have the 24-120 F4 nano lens
Thanks
Gaz
Full frame DSLR for IQ.

Specifically what are you shooting?
What are the lighting conditions where/when you are shooting?
What IQ are you looking for improvements on?

What is your budget? It makes no sense to recommend something that is 2x your budget.

Specifically what are you shooting?
What are the lighting conditions where/when you are shooting?
What IQ are you looking for improvements on?

What is your budget? It makes no sense to recommend something that is 2x your budget.
Hi
I shoot railway speed from 60mph to 125mph
Budge anything without going silly

MORE details.

How FAR are you from the train?
Relative motion depends on distance between the camera and subject.

What is your shooting angle, relative to the track?
90 degrees perpendicular or a lesser angle with the train headed towards you?

Are you shooting in AF-S or AF-C shutter mode?
What is your exposure: ISO, shutter speed, aperture?

At 60-125mph, you should be shooting in GOOD sun light, so lighting should not be an issue.

The D3300 should do you fine.

Again, what kind of IQ improvement were you looking to get?
Or where are the IQ issues that you have with the D3300?

Resolution:
The D3300 and D7200 are 24MP sensors, so you gain no improvement in resolution with the D7200.
The FX D780 and Z6 are both 24MP cameras, so you gain no improvement in resolution.
To get more resolution, you need to go up to the FX D850 or Z7 series of cameras.

MORE details.

How FAR are you from the train?
Relative motion depends on distance between the camera and subject.

What is your shooting angle, relative to the track?
90 degrees perpendicular or a lesser angle with the train headed towards you?

Are you shooting in AF-S or AF-C shutter mode?
What is your exposure: ISO, shutter speed, aperture?

At 60-125mph, you should be shooting in GOOD sun light, so lighting should not be an issue.

The D3300 should do you fine.

Again, what kind of IQ improvement were you looking to get?
Or where are the IQ issues that you have with the D3300?

Resolution:
The D3300 and D7200 are 24MP sensors, so you gain no improvement in resolution with the D7200.
The FX D780 and Z6 are both 24MP cameras, so you gain no improvement in resolution.
To get more resolution, you need to go up to the FX D850 or Z7 series of cameras.
Brill thanks for the info sometimes my D3300 focus seems a little slow but that’s its
I agree with the other comments on image quality etc
Again thanks for your help and info

Well the D3300 is part of the D3xxx series, then there is D5xxx series, then D7xxx series. I think the top ot the line in crop frame is the D500. I have a D3200 that still shoots quite well but now have 2 full frames i.e. D750 & D850. The full frame images are much larger. I've got the D850 set to Tiff images which get very large. See( D3000 vs D5000 vs D7000 at DuckDuckGo ) * I would say read reviews and then decide or ask more questions !
Thanks for the reply
The D3300 images are great I bought a D7200 and I took it back the images were not has good than the D3300 but I may have to upgrade to the D750

If the tool is giving you what you envision, no need to upgrade. Don't chase gear, chase knowledge. Use the money you think will improve the imagery from gear and invest in your skill as a photographer. Gear is a rabbit hole and will never replace upgrading your knowledge and skill.

If the tool is giving you what you envision, no need to upgrade. Don't chase gear, chase knowledge. Use the money you think will improve the imagery from gear and invest in your skill as a photographer. Gear is a rabbit hole and will never replace upgrading your knowledge and skill.
Bloody hell wise words
So stick with the D3300!!

Your camera is fine. If you want to chase gear, look at lens improvement. I like my old primes because they are smaller and lighter than the zooms. They allow me to move quickly.

If you want to upgrade the camera, make a comparison chart.
In the columns, list the D3300 and any cameras you might be looking at.
In the rows, list the various factors that YOU want to look, at.

Example, this is one that I did comparing various cameras to the D7200.
1636600108224.png

For me: max ISO, frame rate and weight were the primary factors.
So, for ME, the Z6ii was the best FX camera, for MY requirements.

In reality even the fullframe will not give you significant improvement if D7200 did not .. you will lose some reach and moreover the FX will use more from the frame so edges could look even softer ... I think that for you the difference could be made up by a features and ergonomics .. If I should recommend something, I'd consider these 3 options (sorted by afford cost):

1) used D610 - buy used, will cost something like $400, if you won't like it, sell it for same price
2) buy new Z50 + FTZ (or in kit with 16-50 + 50-250 lenses) - $1200, AF will be certainly improvement here
3) go for D500 - professional DX camera

Personally I'd avoid used D800 and D810 because they have fixed display and they are heavy but if you don't mind, you can consider used D810 - that will be probably the biggest boost in image quality for ~$1200

Most reactions

Back