D4 and low ISO settings

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know a neutral density filter would have been useful but I don't own one.

I was shooting at the drag races and wanted a low shutter speed to get lots of motion blur.

The issue was that it was a very bright day and I was already at ISO 100 and f/11 and really would have liked the shutter to have been a little slower than it was.

I had concerns that the auto focus was going to have issues if I closed the aperture any more and my only other option was a lower ISO.
But that was going to put me into the extended low range and I chose not to mostly out of simply not having any experience with it. I didn't want to get home and find I took a bunch of shots I wasn't happy with.

So my question is this: Are there any detrimental effects of going that low with the ISO setting? Would I have noticed anything or was I unnecessarily concerned?

I know a neutral density filter would have been useful but I don't own one.

I was shooting at the drag races and wanted a low shutter speed to get lots of motion blur.

The issue was that it was a very bright day and I was already at ISO 100 and f/11 and really would have liked the shutter to have been a little slower than it was.

I had concerns that the auto focus was going to have issues if I closed the aperture any more and my only other option was a lower ISO.
But that was going to put me into the extended low range and I chose not to mostly out of simply not having any experience with it. I didn't want to get home and find I took a bunch of shots I wasn't happy with.

So my question is this: Are there any detrimental effects of going that low with the ISO setting? Would I have noticed anything or was I unnecessarily concerned?
No, should be fine. Technically, I think you could have had it in manual focus mode (Zone focus) and got good results in terms of sharpness. You could always download the DOF calculator and plug your stuff in. As far as an ND filter, this is exactly what they're made for, bright days and manageable shutter speeds or creative aperture control over DOF. I have been loving your shots.

Forget the idea to use a ND filter for action, the AF won't work
to your expectations with the filter on. The AF is always done
when the iris is fully opened, it will close prior to SR… benefit
you will lose with a ND filter!

Last edited:
No, should be fine. Technically, I think you could have had it in manual focus mode (Zone focus) and got good results in terms of sharpness. You could always download the DOF calculator and plug your stuff in. As far as an ND filter, this is exactly what they're made for, bright days and manageable shutter speeds or creative aperture control over DOF. I have been loving your shots.

Thanks for the answer and kind words!

You have more faith in my skills than I do, I don't think I could pull off manually focusing while panning.

Thanks for the answer and kind words!

You have more faith in my skills than I do, I don't think I could pull off manually focusing while panning.
I was thinking that the way you were shooting as described in the original post, you would not have to manual focus or auto focus based on your aperture, focal length. The dof should have been sufficient at f/11 and not even be concerned about focusing. Check out the DOF calculator and plug in your info and you will see what I mean. Now all your concerned with is panning. Now if you wanted to isolate the subject and use a larger, more open aperture, then a quality ND filter would serve you well.

Most reactions

Back