D40 Exposure Question/ Does This happen to anyone with any camera

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found out awhile ago while trying to make an HDR, but never really bothered me till now, that I can't change the EV while shooting in manual. I can change the EV while on other settings but when you are trying to take pictures with the same aperture and shutter speed to make an HDR it's kinda an impossible task in any mode other than manual.

I have 3 questions:
1. Does this happen to anybody else using a D40?
2. Does this happen to any other cameras?
3. Can I fix this so I can use Ev in manual?

:hail: please help

I can do it on my D300...

i have the same problem on my pentax k100d

though technically speaking you can just adjust the shutter speed for different exposures without altering anything else

^^^ except the EV settings give you partial f-stops difference in light from what I understand. I have never actually used this, but it is theoretically a nice "fine tuning" feature.

I found out awhile ago while trying to make an HDR, but never really bothered me till now, that I can't change the EV while shooting in manual. I can change the EV while on other settings but when you are trying to take pictures with the same aperture and shutter speed to make an HDR it's kinda an impossible task in any mode other than manual.

I have 3 questions:

:hail: please help

I don't quite understand what you are saying.... it really does not make sense.. is it that you can't adjust exposure compensation in manual??? of course not... there is nothing to compensate when you control the aperture and shutter against a light meter.... exposure compensation only works on A, S, and P (insert canon equiv.. and of course full auto)

when you say "i can't change ev (exposure value) in manual" ... you change the exposure value by changing either your aperture or shutter setting.... in the case of HDR .. you would adjust your shutter setting to change the value while maintaining your aperture value to provide a stable image with no difference in depth of field...

when you say"when you are trying to take pictures with the same aperture and shutter speed to make an HDR it's kinda an impossible task in any mode other than manual".... i really don't know how to answer that.... how can you make an HDR with the same aperture and shutter speed on multple exposures???... i'm confused...

you can change it, you just need to go to the menu and do it manually. you hit either the bottom button on the left or the one about that then use the d pad to go to EV then hit OK and change it.

I don't quite understand what you are saying.... it really does not make sense.. is it that you can't adjust exposure compensation in manual??? of course not... there is nothing to compensate when you control the aperture and shutter against a light meter.... exposure compensation only works on A, S, and P (insert canon equiv.. and of course full auto)

when you say "i can't change ev (exposure value) in manual" ... you change the exposure value by changing either your aperture or shutter setting.... in the case of HDR .. you would adjust your shutter setting to change the value while maintaining your aperture value to provide a stable image with no difference in depth of field...

when you say"when you are trying to take pictures with the same aperture and shutter speed to make an HDR it's kinda an impossible task in any mode other than manual".... i really don't know how to answer that.... how can you make an HDR with the same aperture and shutter speed on multple exposures???... i'm confused...

You actually can change it, dearleader... I just commented earlier that I can do it on my D300... it's a partial f-stop adjustment.

The idea of Exposure Compensation is that the camera deliberately over/under exposes compared to the light meter's reading. So if you had -2EV when you pointed the camera at a dark building, the shutter speed would increase drastically if you then pointed the camera at the sky, but you would still get the -2EV. But take the light meter out of the equation, and you can't get exposure compensation as the camera has nothing to compare the current exposure to.

You can, however, get your own EC by adjusting the shutter speed yourself (three "clicks" of the wheel equates to one stop)

this could have been easily found on google....

There is no exposure compensation while in manual exposure mode with a 40D.

Yes. It's that way in the 20D, and the 5D, and most other cameras I've ever used. I may be confused about this post, but all exposure compensation adjustment would do in manual exposure mode would be to move the meter's center point around. It wouldn't change the exposure like in the auto or semi-auto modes. The only way to adjust exposure with the camera controls in manual is to change the ISO, shutter, or aperture. You'd have to have one of those on auto for there to be anything to compensate for.

Just read up on M mode.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving all this input

I had a feeling that it was that since you have full control of the aperture and shutter speed they wouldn't think you would have to use EV but I would of like to have control/use of EV while in manual for "fine tuning" without having to change the aperture and shutter speed.
I know to a few of you this may sound confusing/stupid but it is just what I wish I had control over while in manual.

I know on my camera (A200) when in M mode it changes EV itself by adjusting shutter speed or aperture setting (shutter by default, aperture if you tell it to)

I read that from the manual... did you check your's out?

Thanks for giving all this input

I had a feeling that it was that since you have full control of the aperture and shutter speed they wouldn't think you would have to use EV but I would of like to have control/use of EV while in manual for "fine tuning" without having to change the aperture and shutter speed.
I know to a few of you this may sound confusing/stupid but it is just what I wish I had control over while in manual.

if you keep the aperture and ISO constant for all the shots for the HDR (which you should!), then you have to change the shutter speed.

Eg. in aperture priority, exposure compensation does exactly this: change the shutter speed!

Most reactions

Back