D40 ?

Sebastian 16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have been at photography for a month now and i feel my current camera is holding me back.

I have a Canon Powershot s3. I was looking at the D40 because it currently is the only camera that is in my price range.

Isaw a post on here that said it lacks an af motor and was wondering what that means. thanks.

it means that it cant auto focus surtan lens such as the famed Nikon 50mm f/1.8 u will have to auto focus that
but lens such as the 18-55, 55-200 VR, 18-200 VR, etc will auto focus.
All lens with AF-S in the name will auto focus which is most if not all of the newer lens

There's definitely more in the D40 price range, and better IMO. The D70 for starters, and that's just Nikon.

The D40 isn't the cheapest DSLR, anyway, I've seen the "it's the only one I can afford" thing a few times lately...

Thanks for #2, i want to know too.

The lack of an AF (or autofocus) motor means that with certain Nikkor (Nikon) lenses you won't be able to autofocus. Lenses that have AF or AF-D on the barrel will NOT be able to autofocus with the D40; you'll have to manually focus. This includes the popular 50mm f/1.8. However, lenses labelled AF-I or AF-S will be able to autofocus, as they have a focusing motor built into the lens.

Also, while I am a Nikonian, you may not be. Go into a camera store and try out some DSLRs in your price range from different manufacturers. Try Nikon, Canon, Samsung, Sony, everything you can find. Look at all your upgrading options as well, this includes higher-end camera bodies, lenses, flashguns, etc. If you find a camera that seems perfect for you, get it. Sure, it will take a long time, but in the end you'll be thanking yourself that you did it.

You can also consider a canon digital rebel XT, or XTi, those should both be in your price range. If not you can get them used for really cheap. Both of them have auto focusing in the body.

check out some used gear on adorama.
i would trust their rating of the used stuff...anyone have experience with used equipment from adorama?

d70, d40, and d50 bodies can be had for an affordable price.

i got a d40 a few weeks ago and i absolutely love it.. even with the specs set aside i love the feel and outer shell of the d40.. sometimes when shooting sports with my small lense i wish i got a d40x for more megapixels so i could crop it... i really recommend the d40 though.

it spend $330 for off ebay with a lense.. its very nice for the price. great 'starter' camera rather cheap price with great potential

thats my rookie advice ;)

I would highly reccomend the D40X to anyone getting into photography. I just sold mine and upgraded my backup to a D200 body, but it is a great camera! The D40x is pretty cheap now, compared to the D60 and it is basically the same camera. I sold mine for 450 with 1 55-200 VR lens here are some pics from the add I placed on craigslist
D40XCollageWM.jpg

Back in May, when I went to buy my first DSLR, the D60 was cheaper than the D40x.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back