D50 exposure problem

MNTMOHR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ever ran into this and if so what was the cause. I took a bunch of pictures over the weekend and everything worked flawlessly. Then I turned the camera on to take some more photos this evening and the picture looks like it's way over exposed. However, sometimes there is an edge of the photo (usually the left) that looks correctly exposed. Now for something even more strange. When I hold the shutter button down and rap off a bunch of photos, the first one is junk and the rest are "usually" okay. Sometimes there are pictures that a bit over exposed. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and this does this in every mode. I even took off the lens and covered the opening with my hand. The first picture is white, rapping off a bunch of pictures and the rest are black. Any clues? If I have to send this in, any ideas on what the service centers charge?

Thanks

sounds like a problem i once had with a film slr.
prob was the shutter curtian wasnt operating corectly,so part of the photo would be fine, the when the curtin hit one spot it would get stuck for like a hundredth of a second, resulting in one strip that was properly exposed, and the rest of it over exposed.

I hate to say it, but it would prob be cheaper to buy another used D50 than it would be to get it repaired.

I hate to say it, but it would prob be cheaper to buy another used D50 than it would be to get it repaired.
If I recall correctly, the 'average' price for a new shutter is $200-$300, probably including the parts & labor. I believe the shutter is a 'unit' that can be replaced quite easily, it's just a matter of dissembling the camera to get to it. Call up a Nikon service centre, they could probably give you a quote for a new shutter, over the phone. Of course, when/if you send it in, the probably may be more involved than that.

DEWD! This is the perfect opportunity to justify a new body. CARPE DIEM!!

Wow! Thanks for the all the replys so fast. I tried contacting Nikon support via their website and am still waiting for them to get back. The shutter could be the problem but what worries me is that if I cover the lens and take a picture, the first one is white and the rest are black. It's almost like the ccd is being over charged (or something like that). I wish I could just go out and get a new body but I had to scape up enough to buy this one used only two years ago. As you can imagine I am not a very happy camper right now.

Yep, the first one being white is a tell. DSLR shutter curtains move from top to bottom when the camera is held in the horizontal frame orientation.

The D50 was made by Nikon from April 2005 to November of 2006.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back