D50 vs. D70/s

globe91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any difference in high iso performance between these three cameras. That and price is pretty much my determining factor now.

Thanks.

They should be about the same with regards to high ISO. I have no problems shooting my D40 (same sensor) at 1600 if needed, but definitely don't like taking my 10MP D80 past 800 if I can avoid it.

They're both good cameras, the D70 is probably the better $$ deal of the two.

High iso performance on the D50 is probably a little better because of the newer sensor, but it's not a huge difference. The iso performance of the d70, d40, d50, d60, d200, d2x are all about the same.. if you want better iso you have to go with a d300 or d3.

Something to consider: The D70 has two control wheels on it. This sounds like a non-factor, but if you shoot a lot in manual mode, you will have a wheel for aperture AND a wheel for shutter speed without pressing any buttons. You can stay looking in your viewfinder and everything! If you aren't shooting manual, this may not be a big deal to you.

www.dpreview.com has the specs on both. But keep in mind they treat each camera like a picture-taking computer, and fail to really take in to account many things that others would find important factors in deciding what camera to purchase. Not to mention they will make a .5% difference in quality and resolution sound like night and day. They really blow their comparisons out of proportion. But you can read their reviews of both cameras, and they will explain (in detail) how the cameras are laid out and whatnot, so you can at least visualize each camera before you buy.

The D70/s will be able to work as a commander using Nikon's CLS with the Nikon SB600/800 which the 50 can't do. I have the 50 and love it but now that I'm a bit more into flash photog I definitely miss that feature.

Most reactions

Back