D5200 and poor t-stop performance?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was taking a look over at DXO mark, and I noticed that the D5200 gets about 0.2 T-stops less light transmission than a lot of other cameras. The D5300, D5000, D3200, D7100 and many other cameras with similar sensors all perform at a superior t-stop level. I was looking at the 18-35mm 1.8 Art Sigma lens, and I saw that it performs at a 2.2 Tstop level, whereas it's at 2Tstops with every other camera. I looked at the 50mm 1.8G, and it's reported at 2.3Tstop for the D5200, and 2.0Tstop for other cameras. The 24-70 f2.8 reports 3.7 Tstop for the D5200, and 3.4 for the D7100.

I would like to think that the D5200 doesn't have some light transmission issues. I hope that this is just due to DXO mark's copy of the D5200.

Does anyone have some insight into the matter?

Tests and reviews for the lens Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A Nikon mounted on Nikon D7100 - DxOMark

Last edited:
Have they normalized things for the ACTUAL, real, genuine ISO levels for each camera, or is the number an absolute, and not 'normalized' or "corrected" number? I do not know the answer, but it appears to be 1/3 EV off; ISO levels are often deliberately fudged by the camera manufacturers, which can result in lower reported noise figures; if for example, ISO 6,400 is ACTUALLY ISO 5,000, and the noise performance is lower as a result, then a camera appears to be testing out better than a camera that has dead-on accurate, legit ISO 6,4000 at the 6,400 setting.

It could be due to better sensor technology, or better, more-efficient electronics in the more-expensive cameras. Even if the issue is real, is it actually "significant"? I mean, you can drive 65 miles per hour, or drive a bit slower or faster than 65 MPH, and the actual time needed to go 10 miles in infinitesimally different. Again, it might be a case of ISO miscalibration. But the thing is...if a lens's diaphragm is even the SLIGHTEST bit out of calibration, f/8 can easily be f/7.1. If the metering system on a camera is tuned ever so slightly differently, exposures can vary from one camera to another by one-third to one-half to maybe even one full EV...so...again, is this even real-world relevant?

Thanks Derrel. I understand what you're saying, and I am in complete agreement. Am I then ignorant for still wondering how they came to their numbers on the D5200? With everything you've stated taken into consideration, it's still baffling. I feel somewhat safe assuming something was out of alignment (user error or hardware on the D5200 just a little off), since the D5000, D5300, D7100, and D3200 all perform better than the D5200 across the board (consistently and somewhat significantly) according to their TStop readings.

I know it doesn't matter a whole lot in terms of real-world practicality. I love nitpicking through things though.

If it's 1/3 off, that's a heck of a lot less than the optimism of film manufacturers.

But yes. The problem is you can't really "make" digital cameras ISO compliant since the standard is based on optical density.

I noticed on the pro video cameras I will be using this semester that gain (which is what ISO is essentially) is actually stated in decibels, which kind of makes more sense from a technical stand point.

T-stop only refers to how much light a lens transmits.

F-number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
T-stop

A T-stop (for Transmission-stops) is an f-number adjusted to account for light transmission efficiency (transmittance). A lens with a T-stop of N projects an image of the same brightness as an ideal lens with 100% transmittance and an f-number of N. For example, an f/2.0 lens with transmittance of 75% has a T-stop of 2.3. Since real lenses have transmittances of less than 100%, a lens's T-stop is always greater than its f-number.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Lens transmittances of 60%–90% are typical,[SUP][7][/SUP] so T-stops are sometimes used instead of f-numbers to more accurately determine exposure, particularly when using external light meters.[SUP][8][/SUP] T-stops are often used in cinematography, where many images are seen in rapid succession and even small changes in exposure will be noticeable. Cinema camera lenses are typically calibrated in T-stops instead of F-numbers. In still photography, without the need for rigorous consistency of all lenses and cameras used, slight differences in exposure are less important.

Yeah, DxO Mark is measuring less light transmission on the 18-35 Sigma f/1.8 on the D5200 than on other Nikon bodies...sure seems weird...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back