D610 or D750?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fsnfms

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys, I am photography student and pursuing photography career as a professional portrait photographer. I currently own Canon 7D and 70-200mm f/4L and 50mm f/1.8, but I decided to step it up to full frame. I considered 6D, but Nikon simply provides much more value for the money.

I'm thinking D610 or D750 along with 24-120mm f/4 and 50mm f/1.8. Which one do you think is better value? Do I really need that D750 for extra autofocus and maybe hardly noticeable better ISO performance? What do you guys think? If you guys have any other lens setup with D610 or D750, let me know. My budget is maximum of $2200.

First off, I think the 24-120mm f4 is so-so. Once the lens hits about 70mm, at f4 it's not a sharp lens. Once you hit about 80mm, at f4 it's a poor performer. I look at the 24-120mm as an f4-f5.6 lens. The distortion on the lens is also bad. At $750 I don't think the lens is a terrible lens, it's just dated and quite flawed. The upside to the 24-120 VR is the overall convenience of the lens.

As for the camera... I think the D750 is the better buy new-vs-new. If you get into the used price territory the story could be different I'm not sure.

Autofocus: You will definitely notice a difference. The D750 can focus better in pretty much any situation. Autofocus is the #1 reason to pick the D750 over the D610.
ISO: I don't think you would notice the difference from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO. At 6400 ISO (and more-so toward 12800 ISO), you will notice a difference a little bit. The shadows and contrast at high ISO are better on the D750 noticeably, but not by leaps and bounds.

The D750 also has some other features which may be minor or huge for you: 9 frame bracketing instead of 3 frame bracketing, 1080p at 60fps instead of 30fps, a tilty screen (I think it's flimsy and I hate using it in fear I might snap it off), better video controls overall with a flat option if you do video, a much better metering system (not sure how well that plays out in practice since the metering doesn't seem any better in any situation over my D5200), better battery life (not an issue if you grip your camera but I don't do that), and Wi-Fi (I really like the built in Wi-Fi especially for live-view or quicky on the go sending a photo to my phone).

I don't have any experience with the D610 or the 6D but I know that my world blew the hell open when I got my D750. I don't even think about ISO anymore. Usable clean ISO all the way up to 10000 where I have my auto-ISO limit set. I have the 24-120 and pretty much only use it when I want a do-all lens. Otherwise I spend all my time with my 50 or 85mm primes on it. It wasn't a huge factor but I use the folding screen all the time to compose shots (up over a fence, down low to get foreground, etc). The autofocus seems to be spot on in tracking my active toddlers. I think you could grab a body only with a 50mm and be incredibly happy for a long time. Then save your money for a proper 24-70 f/2.8.

6d. There is nothing those nikons will do that your 6d won't when it comes to portraits. You say the Nikon gives better value, but by the time you sell your lenses and take a hit they might not be so good value.

The 6d with 24-105 l along with your current lenses should be a good set up.

If you must go Nikon, d750 is better, but you won't be lacking with a d610 for portraits.

I am on opposite side of coin to above poster and really rate the Nikon 24-120, but I haven't owned it, just used it a lot.

Here is what I think of this issue.
I own a D750 and D3300
I am getting more and more involved in both portraiture and event photography.
If you know what you are doing even the D3300 will be an outstanding portrait camera, I shot more then few portrait sessions and I promise you that you will not know which portrait were shot with the D3300 and which with the D750
For mainly portrait photography the D610 will do a good of a job just as the D750 will.

As for lenses, the 24-120mm f4 is a general use lens, its ok but not excellent in any way.
In cases you will want to nicely isolate subject from background f4 might not be enough!!!
For portraits I use 99% of the time my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
I understand this lens might be too expensive right now for you but you can consider getting a used Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 which can go for around 500$-700$
50mm 1.8 is a wonderful and cheap lens but its not good for head shots, not enough compression.
If you want a prime then get the 85mm 1.8G which is a classic portrait lens and darn sharp .

Agreed about the swap to Nikon from Canon. Your Canon rocks. If you like your glass, stay put.
You can do great work with either.

Best bang for the buck with DSLRs is always the cheaper camera. Even an entry level DSLR can create the image quality of a top of the line DSLR, with only small differences that are hard to spot, just that theres a lot more restrictions about when this IQ is actually archieved.

And to my best knowledge the best bang for the buck with Nikon and portraiture would be a used D700 in good condition (approx 600-700$ depending upon extras like battery grip), which some people praise for its color saturation, and the fantastic AI 105mm f2.5 manual focus lens from ages past (approx 1980, approx 120$ on the used market).

See: Nikkor 105mm 2.5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Such deals cant happen with Canon because they killed off their own used market by switching from FD to EF lens mount in 1987.

You used a 50mm and 70-200mm on half frame. These are 75mm and 105-300mm equivalents. So why would you want to switch to 50mm and 24-120mm ? These are substantly different focal length ranges.

^^^ @Solarflare

I'm not sure if half frame is terminology that anyone but you used. I may be wrong but have never seen it anywhere else.

If it is actually a correct but different way to describe a crop camera, then that's fair enough,(and I gotta use learn new ways to understand stuff) if it's not you are confusing people every time you use that quote. Which is it ?

^^^ @Solarflare

I'm not sure if half frame is terminology that anyone but you used. I may be wrong but have never seen it anywhere else.

If it is actually a correct but different way to describe a crop camera, then that's fair enough,(and I gotta use learn new ways to understand stuff) if it's not you are confusing people every time you use that quote. Which is it ?
I noticed that too. Very confusing since the industry uses Full Frame and Crop APS-C terminology. But then he likes Large Format and Medium Format and also called FullFrame a "Small Full Format" before. He also likes to talk backwards with terminology sometimes which is also extremely confusing.

Most reactions

Back