D70 vs. 10D

Galaxy_Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Howdy.

I need to decide which of these to snag up. It seems to me that image quality is real close, so I'm not really concerned with that. The 10D is a solid $1500 w/ no toys. The D70 is about $1300 with a spiffy lense. Gotta love that 144 continuous frame shooting, too.

My decision is going to be based on how well each camera survives use. The 10D has a magnesium alloy body, which is nice if you drop it or think you might bang it around. The D70 has a plastic body.

I'm not going out tomorrow to pick one of these up, I'm just doing my homework beforehand. Also, I can never seem to find an answer for this: what is the largest acceptable print size that can be squeezed out of these? Can they do a 30x40 comfortably, or will you see significant loss of image quality? Everyone keeps talking about how the 1DS still doesn't match up to 120, and then there are TONS of people who've bought 6megpixel cameras.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I don't know... in tests it appears that 35mm and 6mp APS sized sensors capture about the same amount of detail. With a slight edge given to the 35mm. Some people don't mind making prints 20x30, but if I'm going to print that big I'd rather shoot medium format and above.

I might be wrong but isn't the D-70 direct competition for the D-rebel...while the 10D is more in line with Nikon's D100?

What would be the largest size that you're comfortable with from a 6MP shot

It seem that too many people take into account the "max print size" with digital and even film. What also matters is viewing distance. A print from a one MP camera will look great at 60x40 if you don't have your nose on the paper.

Like Galaxy_Stranger says...it comes down to what you are "comfortable" with.

I would probably stick to 16x20 and under when using my D70. Of course I don't really have any lenses that would make a good 16x20 print so for now 11x14 and below.

Thanks for the info Voodoo - do you think that web site was being truthful, or you think they have low standards, heh?

Yeah, Mike, the D70 is really meant to compete with the 300D, but to me, it's right in between the 10D and the Rebel. The D70's features look better to me than the Rebel, with the same image quality. So, I decided that I didn't want the Rebel when I could get the 10D. That left me with the 10D and the D70.

My only concern is the D70's body. I found out that it's "Polycarbonate", whereas the 10D is Magnesium alloy and I've only seen the Rebel's body referred to as "Plastic". What I'm trying to find out is whether or not the D70's body is stronger than the Rebel. If not, I'll prolly go with the 10D.

I can tell you feeling both the 300D and D70 that the Nikon felt sturdier. But if you need something that will withstand a drop I'd definately go for the 10D. Or wait for the D100 successor.

I own a D70 and just had a chance to take a look at a 300D over the weekend. The D70 is a much more solid build than the 300D and doesn't have such a plastic feel to it. The D70 actually feels much more like the 10D, although the 10D is definitely much more heavy duty.

If the construction is a major factor for you, 10D is the way to go, although I think you'd be somewhat surprised at how sturdy the D70 appears to be.

i recently talked to a Nikon rep, and he said that the D70 is the succesor to the D100, and they are not planning on releasing one in the price range of the original D100.

and on a side note, that 144 frames in a row, does not mean at the highest shutter speed, it means at about a frame per second and a half after the initial 9 or ten shots have gone at the fastest FPS.

Go with the 10d, it is the better camera and its worth the extra price.
The body will survive a train wreck

if only consider the spec.
D70 is absolutly the first choice
however it got too many problems and still can't slove those problems

at this time, 10D is still better than D70

westman said:
These "problems" is hype from a bunch of measurebators on dpreview. Happens with every camera, Canon, Nikon, Kodak.... Most all D70 owners are quite happy with the camera.

voodoocat said:
westman said:
These "problems" is hype from a bunch of measurebators on dpreview. Happens with every camera, Canon, Nikon, Kodak.... Most all D70 owners are quite happy with the camera.

I just in case
if you can chose one of the camera work perfectly and doesnt have any problems. why do you still chose one with so many problems? :roll:

Most reactions

Back