What's new

D700 Pop-up flash

Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,719
Reaction score
534
Location
Here N There
I don't have an external flash, so I am depending on the pop-up flash for certain shots. When in P mode using AF-D lens, it works just fine. However when I need to use Ai-S lens, or in A and M mode, the flash doesn't seem to respond to the settings I am putting in, such as step downs and front/back curtain. It always turn out to be the same, which is over exposure.

Then when I step my exposure down (shutter speed), it doesn't help either. I think the computer is telling the camera to so something else regardless what I want it to do, or am I doing something wrong?
 
What did the manual say? ;)

Seriously, did you try imputting the lens info in the menu? Try Aperture priority as the shutter speed won't matter much anyway and if it does then go to manual.
 
I just fired up my on board flash for the first time on my d700 to formulate an answer.

I put an AIs 28mm f2.8 on and had a go. Aperture priority and manual. Made sure that aperture did not push shutter faster than sync speed. All worked just as expected. Flash was set to TTL (not manual or commander) and auto ISO was set to off. It also worked fine with auto iso enabled.


You don't happen to have FC set to a positive value?
 
Well you said you stepped down your exposure using the shutter speed. The thing is, shutter speed has NO affect on your flash exposure because the flash duration is much shorter than the shutter speed. To drop the flash exposure you need to A:dial in minus EV on the flash, B: choose a smaller aperture, or c: lower your iso.

When you are trying to blend flash and ambient light, think of it like this: Shutter speed controls ONLY ambient light, while iso, and aperture control BOTH flash and ambient exposure, and +/- EV on the flash power will control ONLY flash exposure.

Hope this helps.
 
Also, in your camera's menu, check to make sure the flash is set to ttl and not manual mode, because if its in manual, it isn't being factored into the exposure by the meter, in my experience anyway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom