D7000 Does Good - From Oops to Saved Photo

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I always take photos on my way home from work, well tonight it got dark quickly and I got one last shot off before heading home for the night.

Here's that wonderful shot, it's an abandoned farm house - not that I needed to tell you that - looks great right?

Old Farm House by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr

OK, I messed up... what to do? To add to the problem, I wasn't shooting in RAW so this is an in camera processed JPG file shot in B&W mode.

Brought it into Lightroom to see if I could save it and here's what came out of that photo by just pressing the 'Auto' button.

Old Farm House by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr

I'm sure I could have improved on it more, but for simplicity sake I wanted to show you that what you might think is a lossed photo could possibly be saved very easily.

Granted, nothing is better than doing it right in the first place - but all is not lost if you do fat finger a photo.

Had you shot the correct exposure the first time you might have saved some detail and perhaps not have near the apparent noise from the increased exposure in post. To each there own, but that photo is in need of more processing or a re-shoot.

Had you shot the correct exposure the first time you might have saved some detail and perhaps not have near the apparent noise from the increased exposure in post. To each there own, but that photo is in need of more processing or a re-shoot.

missed_the_point.jpg

What was the point then? That you could take any photo, shoot it wrong, play with it in post and turn up with something far from perfect? Enlighten me please.

Read my post Montana... don't just look at the pictures. Heck , I'll save you the effort and give you the cliff notes from my original post here:

OK, I messed up... what to do? To add to the problem, I wasn't shooting in RAW so this is an in camera processed JPG file shot in B&W mode.

Brought it into Lightroom to see if I could save it and here's what came out of that photo by just pressing the 'Auto' button.

I'm sure I could have improved on it more, but for simplicity sake I wanted to show you that what you might think is a lossed photo could possibly be saved very easily.

Granted, nothing is better than doing it right in the first place - but all is not lost if you do fat finger a photo.

Maybe it was the title that was throwing me off. D7000 does good....from oops to saved photo. When a more fitting title would have been I screwed up but sorta fixed it. Camera only does what you told it to do. I guess you just started a post and sorta answered your own post? But yeah, adjusting exposure in post is an option..........although nothing new.

OK, your project for the evening is to take a photo at 6400 ISO and shoot it in JPG, have it come out almost black - then bring it back to life in post.

The D7000's true maximum sensitivity appears to be only ISO 950:

D7000 sensor trivia [Page 1]: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review

You only lose highlight range in your raw files if you shoot at ISO 1000 and above. So it actually makes MORE sense to underexpose and push in post from ISO 800 - 1000 and up...

"From ISO 1000 and up, the sensor stays at its maximum gain (equivalent to ISO 950) and the sensor's digital output is numerically scaled to the ISO setting. That is, for all ISO settings in the 1000 to 25600 range, the sensor is doing exactly the same thing."
- Marianne Oelund

Most reactions

New Topics

Back