What's new

D7000 hot pixels?

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
190
Reaction score
5
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have these in their low light videos?

I work in a camera store and a customer came back a couple of days ago showing me that she had white, red and blue hot pixels in her low light videos. She urged me to read online because a lot of people have the same problems?

After reading some forums, some people have exchanged 3 or 4 D7000s to still find hot pixels on every one of them!

With that in mind, I checked our demo D7000. Sure enough, 4 or 5 hot pixels. So I opened another brand new D7000, still hot pixels. I ended up opening all the D7000s in my store and they all had very noticeable and annoying hot pixels! We had a total of 3 cameras plus the one the customer brought back.

I was shocked and convinced that my own D7000 probably has it too while doing low-light video. So immediately went home and checked it for 15 min. Somehow as luck would have it mine is fine. No hot pixels at all.

Shouldn't there be better quality control on a camera over $1000?? Is it a batch that has problems?? Do any of you have it in your videos?
 
These hot pixels have nothing to do with QC. First of all, there is a Firmware update to handle these hot pixels. Second of all, hot pixels can and do occur in any sensor, not just the one in the D7000. They are more typical as the sensor gets hot after prolonged use with live view. It is particularly common in dark areas in low light scenes. One reason for this is that unlike in view finder mode where exposure times can extend to to beyond 1", in live view, exposure times are limited to the rate at which the live view frame is refreshed. The camera still tries to achieve proper exposure by increasing the gain on the sensor. The light collected is amplified but so is any electrical noise. Generally the noise is random but some pixels can become 'stuck'... the firmware update corrects this.

References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise
Image noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
That's what Nikon has been saying as well but I updated the demo camera's firmware in the store hoping it would help but they're still there, in the same spots. And they're quite noticeable.
 
Some have stated that they had to install it twice before it fixed for some reason. Did you check the firmware version to make sure it actually updated?
 
I'm in Canada and the most recent update I found was 1.01 and yes I checked. It was updated.

I'll try installing it again when I go to work but the other 3 we had have all been returned to our Nikon supplier by the manager.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom