D7000 - lens

ekf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi - I am new to the site and not a photographer but my daughter is very interested in photography. Her birthday is coming up and we are considering purchasing a Nikon D7000 for her - more than we were planning on spending - but she has several old Nikon lenses given to her by a friend of ours and it seems this is the only(?) Nikon that she can use them on. I've heard that the lens that comes with the D7000 isn't great but we think she should have an autofocus lens. Any suggestions for something to replace the one it comes with - that isn't extravagantly priced!?

$DSC_4129.jpgI don't have suggestions on the lens... you will get what you pay for. However, I have been using the D7000 for six months now. Excellent camera. I took this picture using a Nikon 50mm f/1.4D lens.

Consider a D3100 or D5100. If she's serious about it, she can upgrade later.

gotta go with sparky on this one, the d3100 is an awesome camera at half the price the d7000. Plus if she decides she needs more camera, you can get about 75-80% of your money back selling it with low clicks. That was exactly my experience.

Last edited:
Agreed. The D5100 has the same sensor as the D7000 and, thus, will produce exactly the same quality images through any given lens. As far as lenses go, the kit lens is plenty enough for any beginner. If she's not a beginner, I'd ditch the 18-105 that comes with it and pick up a Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8. You can get about $250 for the 18-105, and the Sigma runs about $300. The quality is FAR superior.

Mark

I am also hoping on the get a D5100 bandwagon. It's really a great camera, it deosnt have as many knobs and buttons but its an easy camera to use and takes some great photographs, the caviot being if they are older screw type AF lenses she had given to her they wont work with the D5100 body, but if they are manual focus lenses then they will work just fine on the D5100 but depending on how old they are light metering will not work.

How serious is she and what lens were given to her?

I would get the D7000 first, I wasted $600 on a D3100 after upgrading to the D7000 only a few months later. Thats $600 that I wont get back.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Tapatalk

I would get the D7000 first, I wasted $600 on a D3100 after upgrading to the D7000 only a few months later. Thats $600 that I wont get back.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Tapatalk
you simply had gear lust

If you don't have to purchase in the immediate future, Nikon has already announced the D3200, which should be an outstanding choice for an entry-level DSLR. Also, it's about half the price, which is always nice.

Check it out...

Not that the D7000 isn't a wonderful camera (I have one... it is), but if your daughter doesn't already have any skill or experience, the areas the D7000 is better than the D5100 or D3200 are things that likely won't make any difference to her.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back