What's new

D7000 -- What Glass?

you were about to buy these.

Nikon AF-S DX 35mm/1.8G
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm/4.5-5.6 G VR

Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Sigma DC 17-70mm/2.8-4 MACRO OS HSM
Sigma DC 18-125mm/3.8-5.6 OS HSM

you didnt even know if they were working on a d7000.

now your buying the top of the lines nikon lens? and no body is telling you to start reading a book?
 
I agree with Destin above...the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 is a great lens as is the Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 Macro HSM. I've just recently tried both and picked up the Sigma. It was much cheaper than it's respective Nikon counterpart.

I agree these are both great choices for a d7000. You can get the tamron for only about 325 on bay in new condition. I wouldn't pay more for the vc or focus motor, both are relatively pointless on a 50mm lens
 
Thanks for the advice.

Ill have to think / research a little more then make my decision about what to get.
 
Greetings,

I am upgrading my DSLR.
Question:
Will I really be missing out without a Full Frame Camera? Would it be better to save money for another 4-6 months and then get a Full Frame Camera?

Lenses for D7000
Id like to buy only the body and then use the saved money on seperate lenses rather than the kit lens.

My shooting interests include:
Sports
Architecture
Landscape
Candid shots of people/things in the city
Portrait (I currently dont do portrait but want to begin learning)

I was looking at the following lenses:
Nikon AF-S DX 35mm/1.8G
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm/4.5-5.6 G VR
Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Sigma DC 17-70mm/2.8-4 MACRO OS HSM
Sigma DC 18-125mm/3.8-5.6 OS HSM

Questions:
1) Will those Sigma lenses actually work with the D7000?

2) Opinions on which lenses above would be a good investment.. Is there a better option that I havent listed? (note: Each of the above lenses sell for under $1000)

RLM

Answers
1> Yes, the Sigma will work on the D7000
2> I have looked thru he 70-300 at a costco, which is a fairly brightly lit environment... and it is very dark in the view finder. Do not think it will focus fast enough for sports, and you need a long zoom for sports.

Consider the 18-200mm Nikon VR2. It is faster and wider range and knocks out most of the lenses you have listed.

Even the Sigma 17-70 is only 2.8 at widest setting.

To see shots, of glamour and events taken with the D90, a Nikon 105mm 2.8 Macro, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Nikon 18-200, and Sigma 50mm 1.4 surf the galleries at Glamour Photography Scottsdale Phoenix Arizona

The D7000 will do a better job than the D90 (I just put one on order.)

3> Full frame vs crop sensor.

Depth of field narrows on larger sensors due to physics. Is this important to you?

Any camera body you buy will be obsolete in 2-5 years.

Buy what you like today, and buy again in a couple of years.

The glass may last you a few years beyond that.
 
Consider the 18-200mm Nikon VR2. It is faster and wider range and knocks out most of the lenses you have listed.

Even the Sigma 17-70 is only 2.8 at widest setting.

What the heck are you talking about?

The 18-200mm VR2 is a f3.5-5.6 lens, which is 0.75 to 3 stops slower then f2.8 (depending on focal length). I guess you must be considering the advertised benefits of VR in your calculations, but VR doesn't freeze action which is just as important.

It's also not a very sharp lens, and has a lot of distortion. A poor performer compared to any constant 2.8 glass by nikon or sigma/tamron.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom