What's new

D7000 With Heavy Lenses

jdag

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
288
Reaction score
7
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the past, there was concern out in Internet land about heavy lenses (ie - 70-200 2.8) hanging off of plastic bodies such as the D90. In fact, I recall seeing some photos of the D90 mount broken off of the body because of the heft of some lenses.

Does anyone know if this would be a similar concern with a D7000? My understanding is that the D7000 is built with magnesium alloy only on the top and back of the body.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, John
 
First off, I carried a 80-200 tank off the front of a D80 and D90 with no problems. Most of the "problems" I saw on the internet were either "I knew this guy" or someone impropperly storing/carrying it. Next, the D7000 has mg alloy that goes right up to the mount plate for the lens. I do believe there is still plastic there, but it is well supported and should not give you any problems as long as you carry/store your camera in a reasonable manner.

Allan
 
Thanks, Allan. I didn't realize that the D700 had the extra reinforcement.
 
D7000 is pretty much in the same camp as the 400D I use and I've never had any worries with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens - heck even with a 2*TC hanging off it. They might not be the "all metal" bodies, but they are certainly sturdy enough to maintain general use wear and tear. Generally most of the breakages happen when people drop or put them at silly angles in bags (thus pressuring the mount area past its tolerance).
 
I usally dont carry my bag with my 70-200 mounted on my camera. it put unecessary tention on the mount but i dont think its not enough to break it if its carefully stored in a good padded bag.
 
It will do just fine... But, you can not treat it like a dumbass like ppl have in the past. I had the 70 - 200 2.8 mounted on my D90 many times and even left it mounted in my bag all the time before I got my D300.

Just be smart about what you do and you can not go wrong.

Good luck!
 
First off, I carried a 80-200 tank off the front of a D80 and D90 with no problems. Most of the "problems" I saw on the internet were either "I knew this guy" or someone impropperly storing/carrying it. Next, the D7000 has mg alloy that goes right up to the mount plate for the lens. I do believe there is still plastic there, but it is well supported and should not give you any problems as long as you carry/store your camera in a reasonable manner.

Allan
It happened to a TPF member who used the screen name Pure, if you want to look up the thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...views/195718-broken-nikon-d90-lens-mount.html

It also happened to me when a tap from an errant soccer ball ripped a Sigma 150-500 mm lens off my D90. The part of the lens mount that is screwed to the camera was still attached to the lens. The mounting screws were stripped right out of the camera body. That was a $300 repair and a 6 week wait, because they had to wait for parts.

There was no damage caused to the lens.
 
It happened to a TPF member who used the screen name Pure, if you want to look up the thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...views/195718-broken-nikon-d90-lens-mount.html

It also happened to me when a tap from an errant soccer ball ripped a Sigma 150-500 mm lens off my D90. The part of the lens mount that is screwed to the camera was still attached to the lens. The mounting screws were stripped right out of the camera body. That was a $300 repair and a 6 week wait, because they had to wait for parts.

There was no damage caused to the lens.

Oh yes, I remember, the guy who had his lens rip off the body inside his bag while he was asleep, then got upset with his mother for not having the "right" insurance policy to cover this mysterious accident. I remember it well. I never considered that a "reliable" source of information because I never could get anyone to explain how it happened in his bag while he was asleep :-)

As for your account, I do not doubt it. I have seen "taps" from errant items such as a player's foot snap an aluminum monopod in half. But I would hardly fault the lens mount for that.

Allan
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom