D70s and lens Purchase

JJK1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'd appreciate some help.

I have a chance to purchase a used but nice condition Nikon D70s and a Nikon AFS 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED-II lens.

The asking price right now is $285.

From what I gather, the D70s is a capable starter camera, which is what I am looking for. But, though I've done some research, I can't really find an unbiased opinion of the lens. It's the only lens the camera will have to start, and I want to make sure it's enough to get me started.

How is this package, and is the price fair?

Thanks so much for your guidance.

I still use my D70s sometimes. It is a good back up for me and pretty rugged. Back in the day I paid a lot more:lol: The only thing I don't like about it the ISO performance. It seems to generate a lot of noise.

I cant tell you about the lens but my D70 came with the 18-70mm kit lens and I have always liked it. It seems that if everything is working ok that it is a good deal.

Thanks, digital flower.

I don't know quite yet the difference between a 18-70mm lens and the 18-55mm lens that the package is coming with. Will the 18-55mm handle basic newbie photo situations?

I've got a D70S that I'm still using as my primary DSLR. The body can do everything you'll ask of it, or need, especially as a newbie. Just enough functions and two wheels so that you won't have to go into any menus to change basic settings while out on a shoot, and that's a real time saver. Having to go into menus all the time is a royal pain in the butt, so you tend to try not to and work around it (believe, I found that out the hard way). The 1.8 inch LCD screen is small by today's standards, but since it doesn't offer Live View, the only thing you might want to use it for that size matters is picture review. ISO is only 200 while today's standard is 100. The sensor is a 6.1 MP CCD, while today a CMOS sensor starting at 12 MP is the norm.

I don't have the lens you're referring to, but rather the 18-70mm AF-S DX which is a excellent all around basic lens. What your photographing will dictate the focal length.

As long as your not looking to make huge size enlargements, the D70S/ lens quality won't be an issue.

The asking price it's more then fair, as long as the camera/lens are in perfect working order, and both are in near mint condition.

Last edited:
Thanks, Joel_W.

I have made a $250 counter-offer. So we'll see.

I think for that price it is a good buy.
It is one my old backups. As was mentioned, it isn't the the best at ISOs. Generally speaking, if you're shooting at ISO 400, you'll get decent enough results. You can print your 16x20/16x24 prints w/o noticing loss in quality and for beginner, it is a GREAT camera (considering a price).

Good Luck

Thanks, Joel_W.

I have made a $250 counter-offer. So we'll see.

Are you buying this site unseen? If so, use PayPal just in case there is a functional issue and you want to return it. I recently sold a camera to another TPF member, and guaranteed the quality or money back so we didn't use PayPal. It was shipped as though it was fine China as I wasn't taking any chances of damage during shipping, and insured it for the price of new replacement. I absorbed the full cost of shipping as well.

People seem to give the D70s a lot of crap for it's ISO performance but for the price, it's not bad. And considering how much more you would be paying for a D80 whose ISO performance is just as crappy, it makes the D70s seem like a pretty good buy.

People seem to give the D70s a lot of crap for it's ISO performance but for the price, it's not bad. And considering how much more you would be paying for a D80 whose ISO performance is just as crappy, it makes the D70s seem like a pretty good buy.

Well yeah, comparing to newer D90 you loose 2 stops of light in iso performance. HOWEVER, it was a revolutionary camera of its time. My wedding was shot by that camera. It is an amazing machine nonetheless.

Well yeah, comparing to newer D90 you loose 2 stops of light in iso performance. HOWEVER, it was a revolutionary camera of its time. My wedding was shot by that camera. It is an amazing machine nonetheless.

The D90 and the D80 are worlds apart. It's not quit the incremental advance the D80 was to the D70s.

The D90 and the D80 are worlds apart. It's not quit the incremental advance the D80 was to the D70s.

Very True. That is why I said D90 and not d80.
D90 along with D5000, d300 are newer generation of the camera where their performance, is very similar.
D70, d80, d200, d50, are older generation. They were considered top of their lines during their time but by today's standards where every consumer knows that he/she wants a higher iso capabilities these camera's are the ones to produce that result.
What was interesting about D70s, comparing to D90, is that at ISO 200, d70 produces cleaner and sharper out of the camera image when comparing to d90 at the same settings.

You guys are so much smarter than me about all this! I look forward to learning.

I am buying it through a CraigsList ad, and I am meeting the seller in person. So I can look it over before money is exchanged. I plan on having him show me how to take a few shots with it to make sure it works. If there's anything about it I should super-check, I'd love the suggestions.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience, everyone!

You guys are so much smarter than me about all this! I look forward to learning.

I am buying it through a CraigsList ad, and I am meeting the seller in person. So I can look it over before money is exchanged. I plan on having him show me how to take a few shots with it to make sure it works. If there's anything about it I should super-check, I'd love the suggestions.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience, everyone!

Craig's list is not exactly my favorite way to buy things. Do some google searches to find out exactly what I mean.

1st check to see that the exterior of both the body and lens have no marks, scratches, dents, etc. Wiggle the lens to make sure that the mount is snug. Check the front element for scratches. Take off the lens and check the rear element for scratches. Look into the body to make sure it's clean. Make sure the lens goes on and off without binding. No wiggle.

Turn the camera on and go through the menus to make sure they all show up. Set the WB to auto, and take some pictures. View them on the LCD screen. If you have a laptop, bring it with you and view the pictures on it so that you can check focus. Odds are you're using the default Microsoft Live Gallery, so take the pictures in JPEG, or download the app from MS so that you can view RAW files, and take pictures in both formats. Use manual, AP, & Shutter P, to make sure all work correctly. Pay attention to any weird noises other then the mirror slap. Take pictures in the shade with the popup flash to make sure it works as well. Check the preview button as well. Make sure you zoom through the full range and that it works smoothly.

Finally, make sure you get the manual if he still has it, the cable to connect to your laptop, the battery charger and electrical cord, body & lens cap.

Good luck, and just remember that once you pay and leave, it's your camera and lens, so if you're not 100% sure it's in perfect working condition, don't buy it.

Last edited:
That's not a great deal, you can do better on ebay--where your purchase is protected. I see D70's sell on ebay for $150-180 all time on ebay, and that lens typically sells for around $50.

Also, I wouldn't buy it without knowing the number of actuations (easily found in the exif data of any jpeg taken by the camera, the seller should be able to send you a recent photo taken with this camera so you can verify), it's a very old camera and it might be on it's last leg. Don't buy it if it's clocked over 20k.

Last edited:
I agree, check the clicks on the camera , the D70s should be good for about 70,000 clicks. I had a d70s and it was a great camera only 7,000 clicks, I bought a Nikon D200 and a d80 for back up. Good luck to you. Yes get it from a source where you can return it if it has a problem.

If you stay under 400 ISO it will do just fine

A lot of talk about cameras, Cameras come and go Good Glass last a lifetime, spend the extra money on a GOOD lens you can always get a better camera.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back