D7200 and Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Woodsman

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been wanting a D7100 for some time and am now thinking of pulling the plug on a D7200. I would like to use my existing lenses from the old D50 until I can save a bit for newer VR lenses (retired on a budget) so I would initially just get the D7200 body. The current lenses I have are the D50 18-55mm kit lens and the Sigma 70-300mm

My question is does anyone here have any experience with the D7200 (or D7100) and the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens. If so what are the issues encountered if any.

My concern is getting a new camera only to be disappointed in the images because of the Sigma zoom. I rarely use the kit lens.

I do not shoot pro and do not print my photos, My existing cameras are all P&S or entry level DSLR's. Nikon D50, Canon T3, Nikon P510, Panasonic DMC-ZS5, Minolta A1. Canon A630. I still will pull any of them out to use from time to time.

Sorry I dont have any experience with this Sigma lens.
If you have used this lens on your D50 and was happy with it I see no reason you will not be happy with it on the D7200
The D50 is an old camera but in good lighting conditions and with a good photographer it can produce good images, getting the D7200 will not turn your lenses into bad lenses just because its a more capable camera.
If you will not be happy with the Sigma on your D7200 then go to Henry's and trade it for a used Nikon 55-200mm VR or 55-300mm VR, it shouldnt be too expensive and I think you are getting 3 month warrenty on used lenses from Henry's so its a fairly safe buy

I had issues with a sigma 50-150 f,2.8 the original version with a d7100. I also had a problem with a tokina 50-135 f2.8. Live view was one issue with the siggy.

I can't remember exact details but on research it seems when Nikon updated to d7xxx models something changed in their system and a good few older third party lenses were affected

I had issues with a sigma 50-150 f,2.8 the original version with a d7100. I also had a problem with a tokina 50-135 f2.8. Live view was one issue with the siggy.

I can't remember exact details but on research it seems when Nikon updated to d7xxx models something changed in their system and a good few older third party lenses were affected

I have that lens on a d7200 and have not had any problems at all. I must say that I am not a pro though so they may see something I don't.

Thanks everyone. I may have to hold off due to the bad markets in June hit the retirement budget for the next little while. However, based on you input I will likely get a body and use the Sigma for awhile at least.
On the D50 I find it focuses past infinity just a tad on auto focus particularly at 300mm. So I usually use manual focus when I use it. Thanks again for your comments

Most reactions

Back