D750 Final Impression/Review

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I would take the time to give my final review and impression on the D750.

I still have not seen or read to much info on here about the D750 so thought that perhaps this info would help others decide if they were up in the air about the D750. I am not a pro and do not make a living off of photography however I do consider myself beyond an amateur.

I had been waiting for a new nikon camera since the sony A7 came out. I played around with the A7 for a while and came to really like that camera. It was a 9 month wait till nikon released its new baby FX camera named the D750 hahahaha.

Just like many I was waiting for a D700 replacement. I was really excited to hear the D750 was on its way. However to me its not a direct replacement for the D700. The D750 is more of an upgrade to the D610 and younger brother to the D810/800. On my drive home I was excited and yet had a bias and did not think I was going to like it and would be returning it.

Once I took it out of the box it felt really really good in my hand. Its lighter (although I don't mind heavy cameras as they fell more robust) and the grip was something that I have not felt before in a nikon. WIth the Deeper grip it felt like I had a solid hold of the camera..+1 for changing that grip. Next I noticed that if felt more like plastic rather than metal which once again the bias emotion of the D700 kicked in. I immediately wished it felt heavier or more metal like however I understand why they made the changes for wifi. Wifi is not as important to me as someone else but since its there is nice to have and I have already used it and synced to my iphone. Next thing I noticed it felt like the D7100 and D610 with a flip screen. To some this is of no use BUT to me all I can say is thank you NIKON for adding this to your new FX camera. I have used it so much and would never want a camera without it. I love the fact that like the Sony A7 you can change exposures in live view and see the results before you shoot. First full frame Nikon to do this. Next thing I noticed that the LCD screen on top of the camera was smaller with less info than the D700. Not a deal breaker since you can hit the info button and see the info you need on the LED screen. Will take a bit of getting use to but in all honesty will be a lot faster to view since your eye is usually behind the camera and not on top. Next is the eye piece just like the D600/610 the D750 has a rectangular eye piece and does not keep in line with the pro body nikon FX camera with a circular eye cup. I for one prefer the circular over the rectangular and found a very cheep mod that now has the D750 with a circular cup which shields the sun. Deal breaker NO.

Now since we really buy cameras for the image quality let me talk about this for a second. I have found that the image quality of this camera to be superb! I have been very very impressed. I shot some action soccer shots with the 50 1.8 and from a good distance and I was amazed how much I could crop. I did some comparison with some other files I have from the D610/D700,D7000,D7100 and Sony A7 and I was amazed that there was actually a difference a noticeable one I would add to that. Just alone this has impressed the heck out of me!! The Dynamic range of this camera is also very very good. I have been able to under and over expose shots and still able to recover in camera raw great detail in shadows and highlights. High ISO in low light conditions is by far superior to the D7000,D7100, D600 and D610. You can really crank the ISO up and have confidence that you will have a very usable shot even past iso 6400. I shot F2 ,EXP -5 ISO 10000 in a very dark area and was really impressed that I could make a usable photo hand held with these settings. WOW!! This is a great camera for HDR work as well since the dynamic range is so good. Although I never really have suffered in this area with other cameras. I have been able to get the end result with all the other cameras as well. Its nice that this does have the option to do 2-9 bracketed photos. Sometimes having more photos to pull info is much better that just 3 photos at -3,0,+3 or -1,0,+1 and so on. This will not way so heavy for non HDR shooters BUT never the with the DR being superb on this camera for all the single shot users out there you can just make an HDR like shot with one single exposure. Focusing seems fast and accurate even in low light situations. HD video is also very good, movie like HD quality for sure. Auto ISO while recording is something that is very nice to have.

I know I have not touched on every aspect of this camera , but for a prosumer like myself I am very happy with this camera and it will not be returned to best buy. This is a keeper and nothing but positive things to say about this new D750 FX camera.

If you are thinking about this camera and should I get this over the D610/600 I would say YES and don't think twice you will not be disappointed! IF you are more of a pro user and super high res photos and deciding this over the D800/810 then buy a D810 and let me know how it goes as I have never shot with one…..

Final word --- This is camera is worth the purchase! Enough new features to justify the cost!

cheers

nice write up, makes me wish I had one lol.

Your review/impressions are just like those of everybody I've read so far. Guy buys D750 or gets test sample for review/evaluation purposes. Expects it to be substandard, sub-par, inferior in one way or another. Guy uses said D750. Becomes impressed by it. Finds camera satisfying in almost every single way. Likes ergonomics, controls, finds video quality is excellent, finds color depth, dynamic range, shadow recovery, highlight holding capabilities all at the very,very highest level of modern technology. Guy is impressed by fast,powerful focusing system, good buffer, fast firing rate, quick camera reaction times of mirror and mirror-return, and shutter release [AKA latency time; shutter lag time]. Guy becomes amazed by D750's feature set, price, image quality, handling, and design concept. Guy writes very favorable on-line review.

I have my D750 for few days but I am very careful to say anything on it, I don't like to post half chewed report.
I enjoyed reading your report and I will probably write my own in few weeks after I feel comfortable enough with my new baby.
I will say about my D750 that compared to my old D7100 the AF points are all bunched up in the centre which is something I will need to get used too, I assume this is not a D750 thing but more an FX thing.
So far the low light performance blew me away getting amazing results at 6400ISO and 12800ISO but on one occasion I got a whole lot of noise already at 1600ISO so I really need to continue and learn the camera as I said.

Enjoy your new camera, I know I enjoy mine :)

Most reactions

Back