D800 green white balance!

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got my D800 yesterday.

However, immediately I've noticed a lot of people's discussion of the green cast issue is true. For me, it's NOT ONLY on the LCD, but on the actual image itself. It's not a huge deal in raw because it can be corrected but it's a pain in jpeg! What I was planning to do is to shoot raws onto the CF card, and save basic jpeg files on an eye-fi card so that those jpegs on the eye-fi can go straight to my iphone/ipad as quick previews to give a glimpse of what the actual shoot will look like once images are processed.

However, everything is green. I've tried to fiddle with the white balance settings by going to 1 or 2 to the magenta side. 1 or 2 to the blue side, at any rate I've tried to fiddle a lot with the auto WB but nothing seems to look 100% right.

Also I'm talking about looking at the images on a calibrated monitor, it's definitely green cast which I don't like as much. I've also shot the same images with my D7000 and D800 and the D800 jpeg files are definitely more green.

Does anyone else have this issue with their D800? What do you do to correct it?

Unfortunately I don't have the files with me right now but even in some of these samples from reviews, I can see a bit of green. Flip through these images from the cnet review, a lot of them are leaning towards green. The cat, the small preview of 15 of 16, etc. Is it just me??? Do I just prefer overly magenta images??

Link to cnet images and review. (remove if not allowed!)

Auto white balance - Nikon D800 photo samples - CNET Reviews

well, considering that color cast/white balance isn't something you have to eyeball, I don't understand how you aren't sure if you just prefer magenta or if there is a cast.

Just pull a picture up, put your cursor over a pixel that should be white or grey, see if the RGB values are roughly equal. If it 'looks like' a green cast, but measures as neutral, then you have your answer. If the g value has a slight elevation, you also have your answer there.

It does measure a green cast but according to other threads I've been reading, Nikon claims this is more realistic than what they had before....so that's why I'm not sure.

It does measure a green cast but according to other threads I've been reading, Nikon claims this is more realistic than what they had before....so that's why I'm not sure.

Perhaps Nikon is referring to our eyes being naturally more sensitive to green, but that doesn't make sense, because our eyes are still more sensitive to green when we look at pictures too.

If it measures as non neutral, it has a green cast. end of story.

Well essentially what I'm asking is for those of you that are shooting D800s out there, how do you go about fixing the issue?

Is there a preferred custom white balance setting you use? Like shift towards magenta? Blue?, etc? Or specific lightroom/PS process you use??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back