What's new

What camera can I zoom with gphoto2 or Python?

strantor

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 15, 2023
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
Brazoria co. TX
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm making a thing. Backstory is here on this forum.
I need to control the camera (including zoom) via a python script.
For that reason I decided to retire the Canon 5D I was using and go with a point-&-shoot type camera.

I bought a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10 IV today, brought it home, and found out that there is no way to control the zoom other than via the slide switch on the front of the camera. I can control every other conceivable thing on the camera with gphoto2 except zoom. Gphoto2 gives a value for the zoom but it isn't correct and doesn't change when I zoom in/out:

gphoto2 --auto-detect ... Model Port
----------------------------------------------------------
Sony Alpha-RX10M4 (Control) usb:001,018
None
gphoto2 --summary ... Camera summary:
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
Model: DSC-RX10M4
Version: 2.0
Serial Number: 00000000000000008081753001023027
Vendor Extension ID: 0x11 (1.0)
Vendor Extension Description: Sony PTP Extensions

Capture Formats:
Display Formats: JPEG, Unknown(b301), ARW

Device Capabilities:
File Download, No File Deletion, No File Upload
No Image Capture, No Open Capture, Sony Capture

Storage Devices Summary:

Device Property Summary:
Compression Setting(0x5004):(readwrite) (type=0x2) Enumeration [2,3,4,16,19] value: 3
White Balance(0x5005):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2,4,32785,32784,6,32769,32770,32771,32772,7,32786,32800,32801,32802] value: Automatic (2)
F-Number(0x5007):(read only) (type=0x4) Range [0 - 65535, step 1] value: f/3.2 (320)
Focus Mode(0x500a):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2,32772,32773,32774] value: 32773
Exposure Metering Mode(0x500b):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [4,32769,1,32770,2,32772,32773,32771,32774] value: Average (1)
Flash Mode(0x500c):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [2,1,4,3,5,32769,32771,32772,32817,32818,32833,32834] value: Automatic flash (1)
Exposure Program Mode(0x500e):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [32768,32769,2,3,4,1,32848,32849,32850,32851,32896,32897,32898,32899,32833,7,32785,32789,32788,32786,32787,32790,32791,32792] value: 32768
Exposure Bias Compensation(0x5010):(read only) (type=0x3) Enumeration [0,5000,4700,4500,4300,4000,3700,3500,3300,3000,2700,2500,2300,2000,1700,1500,1300,1000,700,500,300,-300,-500,-700,-1000,-1300,-1500,-1700,-2000,-2300,-2500,-2700,-3000,-3300,-3500,-3700,-4000,-4300,-4500,-4700,-5000] value: 0.0 stops (0)
Still Capture Mode(0x5013):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2,32789,32786,32773,32771,32772,32776,32777,32780,32781,32782,32783] value: Single Shot (1)
DOC Compensation(0xd200):(read only) (type=0x3) Enumeration [0,3000,2700,2500,2300,2000,1700,1500,1300,1000,700,500,300,-300,-500,-700,-1000,-1300,-1500,-1700,-2000,-2300,-2500,-2700,-3000] value: 0
DRangeOptimize(0xd201):(read only) (type=0x2) Enumeration [1,31,17,18,19,20,21,32,33,34,35,36,37,38] value: 31
Image size(0xd203):(readwrite) (type=0x2) Enumeration [1,2,3] value: 1
Shutter speed(0xd20d):(read only) (type=0x6) Range [0 - 4294967295, step 1] value: 65556
Property 0xd20e:(read only) (type=0x2) Enumeration [1,2,3,11,8,9,10,4,12,5,13,6,14,7,15,16] value: 15
Color temperature(0xd20f):(read only) (type=0x4) Range [2500 - 9900, step 100] value: 0
Aspect Ratio(0xd211):(readwrite) (type=0x2) Enumeration [1,2,3,4] value: 1
Focus status(0xd213):(read only) (type=0x2) Enumeration [1,2,3,5,6,7] value: 1
ISO(0xd21e):(read only) (type=0x6) Enumeration [16777215,25,50,64,80,100,125,160,200,250,320,400,500,640,800,1000,1250,1600,2000,2500,3200,4000,5000,6400,8000,10000,12800,16000,20000,25600,32000,40000,51200,64000,80000,102400,128000,160000,204800,256000,320000,409600,33554431,16777241,16777266,16777280,16777296,16777316,16777341,16777376,16777416,16777466,16777536,16777616,16777716,16777856,16778016,16778216,16778466,16778816,16779216,16779716,16780416,16781216,16782216,16783616,16785216,16787216,16790016,16793216,16802816,16828416,16879616,16982016,17186816,50331647,33554532,33554632,33554832,33555232,33556032,33557632,33560832,33567232,33580032,33605632,33656832,33759232,33964032] value: 16777215
Picture Effect(0xd21b):(read only) (type=0x4) Enumeration [32768] value: 32768
Property 0xd21d:(read only) (type=0x2) Range [0 - 2, step 1] value: 0
Property 0xd21f:(read only) (type=0x2) Enumeration [] value: 1
Property 0xd217:(read only) (type=0x2) Enumeration [2,1] value: 1
Battery Level(0xd218):(read only) (type=0x1) Range [-1 - 100, step 1] value: 82
Sensor Crop(0xd219):(read only) (type=0x2) Enumeration [2,1] value: 1
Property 0xd212:(readwrite) (type=0x2) Range [0 - 15, step 1] value: 0
CC Filter(0xd210):(read only) (type=0x2) Range [164 - 220, step 1] value: 192
AB Filter(0xd21c):(read only) (type=0x2) Range [164 - 220, step 2] value: 192
Capture Target(0xd222):(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,17] value: 1
Property 0xd221:(readwrite) (type=0x2) Enumeration [0,1,2] value: 1
Zoom(0xd214):(readwrite) (type=0x6) Range [0 - 4294967295, step 1] value: 32053248
Objects in memory(0xd215):(readwrite) (type=0x4) Range [0 - 65535, step 1] value: 32769
Property 0xd220: error 2002 on query.
Autofocus(0xd2c1):(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2] value: 1
Capture(0xd2c2):(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2] value: 1
Property 0xd2c3:(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2] value: 1
Movie(0xd2c8):(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2] value: 1
Property 0xd2c5:(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2] value: 1
Still Image(0xd2c7):(readwrite) (type=0x4) Enumeration [1,2] value: 1

When I try to set a zoom level ( ex: gphoto2 --set-config zoom=50) there is a 1 second pause and then nothing happens.

I downloaded Sony's own "Imaging Edge" software and it can't control zoom either. I don't see why not!
This is software controlled in the camera; zoom and focus rings are not even mechanically coupled to the lens. You can even reassign them so that the zoom ring controls focus and vise versa. It's a pretty baffling omission IMO.

I need to exchange the Sony tomorrow and get something else. Any recommendations?

I am asking here on this forum because there isn't a gphoto2 forum that I can find. And I did check out the gphoto2 documentation but as I've come to find, it is usually badly outdated and/or inaccurate. No criticism of the volunteers who put it together (I certainly appreciate it!), I'm just preemptively explaining why I'm here asking this.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom