D800 or D4 for HDR?

You should worry about softness in images. You can do almost anything in photoshop but the better you can get an image SOOC the better the image wil likely be and the cleaner the HDR will be

I am getting the D800E, and I look forward to seeing how it does with HDR. I have a theory that the D800E is going to be great for HDR. My theory is this:

HDR is known to be soft and its possible that a big part of the softness is because HDR really brings out the flaws of an image. Since almost all digital cameras come with a AA filter that creates a softening effect to eliminate moire, HDR software really picks up this softness and magnifies it. I think with the new D800E which does not have this AA filter we might be able to get sharper HDR images straight out of the HDR software

my 2 cents

The resolution of the D800 is so much greater, its output without the E version, will look sharper than a D4 and it is unlikely that you will notice the difference between the D800 and the E version. The D800E does not eliminate the anti aliasing filter it just overlays another structure over to mitigate its effects. The D800E is brand new technology and you know what that usually means in the 1st model year. The Moire effect for certain patterns and scenes will drive you mad and it will be much worse with HDR because you will need to eliminate the moire pattern prior to merge and tonemap. I'll be getting the regular D800. One disappointment I have is that Nikon reduced the # of auto bracket shots from 9 to 7. And a note for HDR users, the 36 Megapixel image stacks will put a heavy load on your HDR s/w so you should test the program in advance to find out where it will choke.
Regards, Murray

There are many ways to sharpen an image so its tack sharp in photo shop. I hardly every worry about a picture being a little soft as I can fix that in photoshop.

In regards to the bracketed photos that blows. I was looking for information on that as a future camera and I would really like the 9..dang't NIKON! In regards to the resolution I agree
its going to take more processing power and ram to keep up with the huge files. Of course you could output to jpeg before importing into photomatix or PS as sometimes I do anyways to speed things up. Photomatix actually does converts RAW into JPEG in the import process from what i have read. But if you output to 16 bit tiff and process in photoshop I can only imagine the lag. I have a decent machine with the quad-core i7 processors and 8gig of ram sometimes I still see some lag on huge 16 bit files. Yikes!!!

Another thing to think about is nikon going to have to play catch up with their lenses? Will their current lenses be able capture the clarity that a 36mg sensor will produce???? Hhhmmm I wonder.

You should worry about softness in images. You can do almost anything in photoshop but the better you can get an image SOOC the better the image wil likely be and the cleaner the HDR will be

Agreed. Do as much work in the camera as possible.

Sorry my wording was not the best. Of course I want it as sharp as possible from the camera and always do what I can to produce sharp photos. The wording was that the d800e was going to be better for hdr for sharpness. HDR may make it soft but if you want it sharp thats where ps can fix all that.There are times when i have done handheld shots and do not worry, in day light or well lit areas of course because I can correct in ps.

how about the 14 stop range that is suppose to be on the D4?

I believe the D800 is rated for about 14 stops as well of DR.

Bottomline both these cameras are going to be amazing for HDR and any other type of photography.

HDR shouldnt be the subject that makes your decision.

YOu should ask yourself if you need really high ISO performance and fast FPS. If the answer is yes to these question then get the D4. If you don't really take advantage of ISO 6400 and 8 FPS then get the D800 and save yourself $3k

I believe the D800 is rated for about 14 stops as well of DR.

Bottomline both these cameras are going to be amazing for HDR and any other type of photography.

HDR shouldnt be the subject that makes your decision.

YOu should ask yourself if you need really high ISO performance and fast FPS. If the answer is yes to these question then get the D4. If you don't really take advantage of ISO 6400 and 8 FPS then get the D800 and save yourself $3k

Well stated. That's pretty well how these cameras have been market tiered by Nikon. The D800/E is the solution for Studio, Architecture, Landscape work (large and slow). The D4 is probably the machine you want to take to sporting events or into a war zone (very light sensitive, very fast, and rugged).
Regards, Murray

Most reactions

Back