D810 vs 5DS R (spec sheet comparison) - D810 still ahead?

ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Seeing the specs (source 1, source 2, source 3, source 4), I cannot understand why Canon charges so much against Nikon price tag...

a6ef4fcd474b490fa37f437c6bc8af53

And there is a discount of $300, making the D810 $3,000 at B&H.

It's soon to say it, but it looks like the D810 will continue to be the king of DSLR... Soon we will know whether that is true or not. I'm curious to see the DxoMark, the DP-Review, and other assessments.

For true comparison you'll need to see a camera in use. These numbers don't tell the full story. I use Nikon but even so would not say a Nikon d810 is better or worse or worth less or more than an unreleased camera. 600 dollars probably won't decide for a pro with 15000 worth of Canon lenses

Dry numbers are not very helpful, only true comparisons will show you real advantage of one camera over the other.
While these 2 cameras are studio and landscape animals I have a feeling the D810 will be more useful also as a general use camera while the 5DS R will be not as flexible as the D810.
The 5DS R loos like a very focused studio camera.

I am amused to see on camera pop up flash appearing as a positive.

I am amused to see on camera pop up flash appearing as a positive.
I think it is... it's very useful as trigger when you need to do a quick off-camera speedlight set-up, or want a little squirt of fill flash for a snapshot

You forgot one thing: if you have only Canon lenses, a D810 won't be very useful for you in the studio.

You can use it to prop open doors and stuff.

Two very well specified cameras. Both require the best glass to get the full potential out of them. At the end of the day, they are just tools. Like any tool, it's what you do with them that counts above all else. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the BS marketing hype, speculation, numbers and everything else that has come before it made to seem redundant.

Go to any forum and look at the post counts in the camera/lens/equipment section and compare it to the gallery/critique sections. You generally find waaaaaay more posts in the former than you do in the latter. People like to talk and get all excited about gear and brands. It's like arguing over top of the line sports cars, when you drive a Ford Fiesta. And if you do actually get to own one of the top of the line sports cars, it spends more time being cleaned and polished and talked about, than being driven to it's full potential.

Most people don't even make full use of their 16MP cameras, let alone anything bigger. We display stuff on the internet in Jpeg format, at forum limited sizes or what our screens can handle. For the overwhelming majority of people, these high resolution cameras are complete overkill. Unless you're printing huge canvases or billboards, doing corporate work or your photography specifically requires the ability to crop in, then you aren't going to use the camera to it's fullest.

I'd far sooner have a camera with excellent ISO performance, dynamic range and more importantly, a global/electronic shutter for significantly improved flash syncing. You know, things that actually will make a difference to the vast majority of photographers, than a resolution so big that I've got to drop nearly $5k on glass and another $2k+ on a computer to handle the PSD/PSB files. It's no wonder some of these large camera manufacturers sales figures are in the toilet. They aren't innovating enough, whereas the 3rd party lens manufacturers have upped their game and giving the big boys a real hammering!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back