D90 or D5000

If you shoot a lot of handheld low light, then skip the d200. I have one and it's a great camera, but the sensor gets really noisy above 800 iso., even with good glass you're still limited in this regard (I use the Nikon 17-55 af-s most of the time) I have a d300 as well, and it's a lot better at high iso than the d200. The D90 supposedly has a similar sensor.

If you shoot mostly daylight or on tripods, then the d200 might be worth it for the extra controls at your fingertips and build quality. Personally I wouldn't even consider the D5000 because of the lack of front scroll wheel and focus motor...and small viewfinder.

Last edited:
I'm going to be shooting a mix of indoor and outdoor so lighting will definitely vary, but no tripods. And I'm leaning toward a D80 or D200 due to the controlls right there, but I've also been toward a D80 hardware is "obsolete" and would rather get a 5K over that. So I'm hearing definite conflicting reviews. In your guys opinions, is a D80 hardware obsolete or not?

I'm going to be shooting a mix of indoor and outdoor so lighting will definitely vary, but no tripods. And I'm leaning toward a D80 or D200 due to the controlls right there, but I've also been toward a D80 hardware is "obsolete" and would rather get a 5K over that. So I'm hearing definite conflicting reviews. In your guys opinions, is a D80 hardware obsolete or not?

D80 and D200 were out around the same time, so the image quality is going to be similar. If you can afford the d90 i'd go with that, but if it's not in your budget, either of the others will still let you take nice photos as long as you can get used to the limitations. Since it's your first dslr, you might not notice the high iso noise so much, but if you ever use a d90/d300 etc. you'll notice a huge difference. I just switched from a d200 to d300 and i'm amazed by the difference in image quality straight from the cameras.

i would recommend the D80 if your on a budget. I actually just purchased one and i love it, i had a canon 5d before and for the most part it compares pretty well to the 5d besides the D80 isnt full frame and does get a little noisy after ISO800 but still its one of the best camera out there for the price! Honestly i am planning on keeping mine for ever as a back up camera once i pick up a D300s or a D3s.

D80/D200 hardware is far from obsolete. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

But, they are not as capable as newer cameras. Because they both use CCD type image sensors. The D90 and D5000 use CMOS type image sensors.

CMOS image sensor use less power, so they operate at a lower temperature which helps minimize thermal image noise. A CMOS image sensor can also be 'read' faster than a CCD image sensor can, so FPS rates are also improved.

Last edited:
I love my D90

Again for me... D90 all the way!

I was in a similar situation five weeks ago. I needed a camera for two upcoming trips, one to Germany and one to Ecuador and the Galapagos islands. I ended up spending a bit more to get the D90, and for a college student the purchase amounted to about two months salary (after I got a case and a few extra memory cards).

Having shot a lot of film, the transition to the D90 was really easy. I'd never really been into the idea of a DSLR (I love darkroom), but I was surprised. The D90 felt like a real camera. It has a lot of buttons and you don't really need to use the menu a whole lot (I can only imagine how amazing the pro series cameras must feel). When I used my friends d5100, it felt like a toy, or a point and shoot.

Get the D90, get a good chunk of glass (internal motor makes this easy because you can get older lenses), and go take some awesome pictures.

Oh, I should also mention that the D90 has a really good battery life. I was shooting at least 800+ pictures per charge.

The final nail in the coffin. The D90 sounds awesome, it has a bold, crisp shutter and when that sucker goes off, everyone around you will be impressed and know that you are a true photographer. The D5100 sounds awful. It's just anemic in comparison.

Anyway, good luck with your search: buy a D90.

P.S. If you can afford the D7000, you should get that. It's like a D90 on steroids. The double SD card slots would have been super nice on my trips.

Damn folks you are making me want to take my D5000 out onto the backyard and put it out of its misery lol. That being said, I am saving up the dough for a better body. What body you say? I think the best body to buy to grow into would be of course the D7000, just have to wait for more bodies to arrive and buy the kit.

I can't comment on the D200, but my first Nikon was a D80. I now have a D300s, and recently bought a refurbished D5000. I'm not going to bash the D80. It's a fine camera. But I borrowed a D90 for a weekend to just check it out, and right away the difference was glaringly obvious. Forget about the D80 - seriously. As far as the D5000, I bought it for one specific need, for which it performs perfectly. But I wouldn't suggest it as your entry into the DSLR realm. Like others have said in prior postings, the lack of an internal motor really limits what lenses you use, so if you do want to go on the cheap with glass - and there is nothing wrong with that - it really limits your choices. So I'm saying no to the D5000, and the D80, and yes to the D90.

I have the D90 and love it so far.

So much hate for my camera! I would like to have the D90's internal AF motor, better build quality and more logical control layout though.

I own a D90 and I love it!

D90/D5k/D80/D200?
What are the price differences?

If I were to put myself in your perspective: I'd pick whichever is significantly cheaper, and buy a decent glass (17-55 for example) and an extra battery, a flash, maybe even books and magazines to draw inspirations from great artists around the globe and expand on my photographic knowledge.

I'd recommend renting or borrowing the stated cameras from a store, or a friend (or a friend that works for a store? hehe) to get the feel for it and to explore its controls.

Choose whichever fits your needs now, and the near future (1-1.5year) and the one that leaves room in your wallet for a decent glass. And expand from there.

Goodluck on finding The One :D

D80 and D200 were out around the same time, so the image quality is going to be similar. If you can afford the d90 i'd go with that, but if it's not in your budget, either of the others will still let you take nice photos as long as you can get used to the limitations. Since it's your first dslr, you might not notice the high iso noise so much, but if you ever use a d90/d300 etc. you'll notice a huge difference. I just switched from a d200 to d300 and i'm amazed by the difference in image quality straight from the cameras.
I really do want a D90, but price seems a little high for me ATM. Which in return, is making me look at the D80 for an option over D5000. The extra features over the D5000 appeal more over the entry level. Now a couple question, do you (or generally) shoot over 800 more? From what I see, it's mostly 400-600. And with the older sensor, what's the life on those compared to say, a 5K? Some I hear say 50K, some 120.

I really do want a D90, but price seems a little high for me ATM. Which in return, is making me look at the D80 for an option over D5000. The extra features over the D5000 appeal more over the entry level.

If you just can't afford the D90, and can't wait until you CAN afford it, I'd still say ditch the D80 AND the D5000 and go for a D5100; get a used one if you need to, to lower your cost and be able to get some decent glass to go with it. Since getting something besides the kit lens, I'm growing MUCH more fond of my D5100. I'll probably keep upgrading my glass for a while now before thinking about upgrading the body.

Now a couple question, do you (or generally) shoot over 800 more? From what I see, it's mostly 400-600. And with the older sensor, what's the life on those compared to say, a 5K? Some I hear say 50K, some 120.
Not really sure what you're asking...if you're asking about ISO, I shoot generally 100-400 on my D5100, but I've gone up twice that high and been completely satisfied with the results. Really depends on what I'm shooting, and what my objectives for it are.

Most reactions

Back