d90 or d7000?

lcgilman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to upgrade from a nikon d3100 to either a d90 or d7000. Which do you think I would benefit the most from and why?

What do you shoot? What are your needs? What is your budget? No matter how you answer thenfirst two, the answer is the D7000. The answer to the latter is what would persuade you to the D90.

Mark

This really depends on what lenses you currently own and what your upgrade path is for lenses in the future..... both cameras are very good... the 7000 bests the 90 in every category, but the 90 is a very capable body. The 90 is is quite forgiving, and the 7000 needs good glass (very good) to maximize it's potential, and conversely, it's a poor camera choice if you are sticking with kit lenses, so it's got to be a package deal with the 7000. If shelling out some serious coin lenses isn't in your future, get the 90.... If you've got the budget for good glass (think primes or pro grade zooms {24-70 2.8 etc..}) then definitely go for the 7000.

D7000. It's a generation ahead of the D90.
Totally agree with SCraig. The d7000 is a pretty awesome all around camera for just about every type of shooting.

I own the D90, and would recommend the 7000. Not because the 90 is a bad camera, it takes awesome pics, but because the D7000 is far advanced with many more features. Unless your budget is real tight, D7000 all the way. If your budget is tight and you want to shoot a lot of video, save till you could get the 7000, for video, it wins hands down.

owned the D90. Dead LONG before the 100,000 "typical" actuation - shutter system started to fail around 45,000 actuations. Mine had the common problem of "stuttering".. or not firing at all.. but shoot at the sky - no problem. I got it at the time because it was the only DSLR with HD video. I would not recommend it - check out online reviews specific to your field of interest.

..if you're looking for a romantic "blur" to all your shots, go for it. I can tell straight away who is using a D90 to shoot sports, by looking at the "romance" factor. I am being kind. A good photographer can make it work - but it's putting lipstick on a pig.

owned the D90. Dead LONG before the 100,000 "typical" actuation - shutter system started to fail around 45,000 actuations. Mine had the common problem of "stuttering".. or not firing at all.. but shoot at the sky - no problem. I got it at the time because it was the only DSLR with HD video. I would not recommend it - check out online reviews specific to your field of interest.

..if you're looking for a romantic "blur" to all your shots, go for it. I can tell straight away who is using a D90 to shoot sports, by looking at the "romance" factor. I am being kind. A good photographer can make it work - but it's putting lipstick on a pig.
I disagree. I've had my D90 for pushing 3 years with zero problems. I don't have 45k actuations on mine yet, but I do have right at 30k. I've shot motorsports (motorcycle racing, stock car racing, drag racing) with it, I've shot airshows, I've shot virtually anything interesting in this area with no issues whatsoever. It is a very good body and I would recommend it.

I owned the D90 for a year then upgraded to the D7000 and have had mine for about 11 months now. I say D7000 all the way. I shoot sports and the quality at high ISO levels are a huge difference. I've shot at 3200 & 4000 ISO with clear results from the D7000 while the D90 gets pretty grainy. Frame rate is faster & the extra autofocus points have come handy as well. It's well worth the price

OP... it's all about budget. The D7000 is an AMAZINGLY nice camera. So nice it made me jealous when my mom showed me hers, and I run a D300. If you can afford the D7000, you buy that one. Else, buy the D90.

I disagree. I've had my D90 for pushing 3 years with zero problems. I don't have 45k actuations on mine yet, but I do have right at 30k. I've shot motorsports (motorcycle racing, stock car racing, drag racing) with it, I've shot airshows, I've shot virtually anything interesting in this area with no issues whatsoever. It is a very good body and I would recommend it.

Guys, these anecdotal references are just silly. "mine sucked!" "mine was great!" Wonderful, you cancelled each other out. Congrats. Might I suggest the OP do some research on statistics of these bodies along with how Nikon has dealt with them warranty-wise? The cautionary note is great. The one-upsmanship is a little silly.

Guys, these anecdotal references are just silly. "mine sucked!" "mine was great!" Wonderful, you cancelled each other out. Congrats. Might I suggest the OP do some research on statistics of these bodies along with how Nikon has dealt with them warranty-wise? The cautionary note is great. The one-upsmanship is a little silly.
Cancelling each other out was the point. Simply because one person has problems with a body doesn't make it a bad body. As far as D90 shutter life goes, try Here.

I was in your shoes months ago and got the opportunity to play with both. Long story short, I bought the D7K and have never looked back! Try to mess around with both if you can and you'll see for yourself.

Good luck!

here's my 2 cents and thats about all its worth. i was using a D3000 for the last two years and was enjoying it, but a few things were starting to nag at me. 1, not having full control on the camera. I didnt think it that big a deal having to go thru the menus to change some settings, but as time went on it bugged me a bit. and 2. low light on the D3000 wasn't what i would like. and since i shoot allot in lower light settings this was problaby my major issue.

ive recently picked up the D7000 a few months ago and within 10 minutes i was loving having basically everything at my fingertips and being able to quickly adjust everything. and the low light iso is great with this camera. i have been really happy with it so far. I havn't used a D90 so I can't compare it at all. I just know for me personally the D7000 is working out well. though now i wonder if i should have gone for full frame lol.

I would figure out what you feel is really holding you back on the camera you have and pick the camera that bests suits your needs.

you disagree that my camera is dead long before 100,000 actuations? ;) ... seriously, though Glad yours works for you, mate.

:er:

So a camera is rubbish? Because you had one that died before 100,000 actuations???.. Yes yes.. it must be rubbish. I mean I'm sure no other camera has failed before it was meant too. Are you a troll by any chance?

The D90 is one of Nikons best selling cameras in history, obviously though you are right and they are all wrong!!

And oh yeah...another thing.. Maybe you failed to notice this little fact but I did..

THE D90 DOES NOT HAVE A PRO AUTOFOCUS SYSTEM DESIGNED FOR SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY..It is a upper end consumer level body. If you need a camera specially for sports photography, you would not buy a D90. It is adequate for sports nonetheless though, I have got some good captures from using it for airshows etc.. But ofcourse, a good photographer will always blame his tools first.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back