Daisy After the Rain

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wish I had a smiiidge more DOF.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look.

After the rain.

It's quite alright. The water droplets are good ones. Images like this are popular on stock photo sites, and this is a pretty "straight" rendering of this subject matter. On a technical level, the color fringing around the white petals hurts it a bit compared to say, an image shot with a really good macro lens, but then again, it's a "real" image, not a highly-perfected Stock image bank type of photo. Overall, the technical quality and the image "look" looks like it comes from a lens or lens + closeup filter or something that is not quite right for this sort of photography; the petals seem almost to vibrate, due to the way the lens system images or "draws".

I wish it had a bit more space around the petals. Not a lot more, but just a little bit more space.

We are at a stage in the history of photography where images are so,so commonplace and so plentiful, and stock images of things like this are so commonplace that I think the standards we use to judge have changed a LOT from where they were say 30 years ago; before massive software manipulation and automatic CA removal and all that were possible, this image would have been, relatively better than it is now. Are we jaded? Yes, maybe so. I don't want to seem to be dissing your picture--it is quite alright. But today there are hordes of people making similar images using the best of everything--lens,camera,software,lighting. How do we judge?

Great picture.

Copycat!
smiley_emoticons_fips_hurra2.gif

You really nailed the WB!

But not only are you a bit shy on the DOF (as you admit), you've got a lot of CA on the tips of the petals.

I generally agree with what Derrel has said, so I won't repeat it. My only other nit is the big "drop" of water in the middle of the flower. It just does not look natural to me, but then maybe that is just me - don't know.

WesternGuy

It's quite alright. The water droplets are good ones. Images like this are popular on stock photo sites, and this is a pretty "straight" rendering of this subject matter. On a technical level, the color fringing around the white petals hurts it a bit compared to say, an image shot with a really good macro lens, but then again, it's a "real" image, not a highly-perfected Stock image bank type of photo. Overall, the technical quality and the image "look" looks like it comes from a lens or lens + closeup filter or something that is not quite right for this sort of photography; the petals seem almost to vibrate, due to the way the lens system images or "draws".

I wish it had a bit more space around the petals. Not a lot more, but just a little bit more space.

We are at a stage in the history of photography where images are so,so commonplace and so plentiful, and stock images of things like this are so commonplace that I think the standards we use to judge have changed a LOT from where they were say 30 years ago; before massive software manipulation and automatic CA removal and all that were possible, this image would have been, relatively better than it is now. Are we jaded? Yes, maybe so. I don't want to seem to be dissing your picture--it is quite alright. But today there are hordes of people making similar images using the best of everything--lens,camera,software,lighting. How do we judge?

Good morning Derrel, thanks for your C&C, great food for thought! Holy cows my noob was showing! I didn't see the CA and it didn't even dawn on me to check for it :blushing: I see it now. I was using my 18-200 shooting straight down at the ground, I think my 50mm might have handled this better, I'm going to have to try it out and see because CA just won't do!
Ah the crop, I have room available to add back and will keep that in mind next time round, I don't think I will mess with this one more but instead use it as a learning tool and carry the info forward.

You are far from dissing my picture ;) I appreciate being held to a higher standard and in this case perhaps my mistake was lens choice and lack of knowledge to even look for the CA or be prepared for it to begin with. Can I blame my gear? Maybe, but I blame my lack of knowledge more ;)
I think in this case we should judge by the fact that you guys know me and most I think are familiar with my other work so picking out things like CA and the small lack of DOF are perfectly acceptable and appreciated.

Great picture.

Thanks!
Copycat!
smiley_emoticons_fips_hurra2.gif

You really nailed the WB!

But not only are you a bit shy on the DOF (as you admit), you've got a lot of CA on the tips of the petals.
Ha told you! I laughed when I saw your Aster ;)

I generally agree with what Derrel has said, so I won't repeat it. My only other nit is the big "drop" of water in the middle of the flower. It just does not look natural to me, but then maybe that is just me - don't know.

WesternGuy
Thanks WG :)
Ah see that drop in the middle is what really drew me to take the picture, the reflection of the yellow in it looks like cracked amber to me, had the drop not been in the center I don't think I would have taken the shot ;)

This is kind of funny to me as I was just working on a similar shot with an identical subject myself. There's more of a story to it than that, but I'll put that up in a separate thread.

Love the daisies with droplets. The one damaged petal towards the bottom bugs me a little, but that's nature, isn't it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back