Damage Limitation, $/h

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday my camera and lens fell about a foot on pavement lens on, ie, the lens was on the camera, a sigma 70 200 f2.8, and it hit the ground front on and smashed a UV filter I had on it. Luckily the UV filter seemed to take the brunt of the impact so the lens glass isn't broken however the autofocus system has been damaged.

The auto zoom control is working but does noticeably whine whilst its moving and the auto focus isn't working at all however manually the entire things seems fine. There is very minor mark on the outside of the lens housing which I may have even done myself when filing down a bit of the UV filter ring although the treads on the lens side are compressed at the point of impact. My question is can this sort of damage be repairable generally, the auto focus issue would be the priority, and is worth it.

This may be repairable. Even a tech wouldn't know for sure without opening it up and seeing what the issue is.
Cost can't be calculated until an inspection of the lens is complete.
I would suggest having it inspected and get and assessment of the damage and a quote for the repair costs. Only then can you make a decision on repair or replace.

This may be repairable. Even a tech wouldn't know for sure without opening it up and seeing what the issue is.
Cost can't be calculated until an inspection of the lens is complete.
I would suggest having it inspected and get and assessment of the damage and a quote for the repair costs. Only then can you make a decision on repair or replace.

Thanks.

Hi
I had a lens that had a lot of dust inside, here in the uk the cost of a clean was more than a used version of the lens
A canon 17 85 f4 5.6 usm IS

Hi
I had a lens that had a lot of dust inside, here in the uk the cost of a clean was more than a used version of the lens
A canon 17 85 f4 5.6 usm IS

I’m actually from Ireland so it’s probably similar. I just wanted to see what people say.

There are two places that I could get this potentially repaired. A recognised sigma repair centre, listed on sigma website, or an independent tech repair shop. I bought the lens new about 4 years ago and am sort of leaning toward the sigma repair centre. I haven't got a price yet for either but I would need to mail/courier the lens to the repair centre.

I would call the independent shop (as they're more likely to talk to you) and explain what happened, describe the current symptoms and ask for a 'worst case' scenario as well as whether parts are readily available (or available at all). They're not going to give you a dollar figure you can bank on, but if the lens is worth $XXX to replace and the worst-case (usually the likely case in my experience) cost is $XXX +/- 10%, it might be worth saving the postage and just looking at a replacement.

I would call the independent shop (as they're more likely to talk to you) and explain what happened, describe the current symptoms and ask for a 'worst case' scenario as well as whether parts are readily available (or available at all). They're not going to give you a dollar figure you can bank on, but if the lens is worth $XXX to replace and the worst-case (usually the likely case in my experience) cost is $XXX +/- 10%, it might be worth saving the postage and just looking at a replacement.

I got a quote back from the repair place €281 Euro which is around $315US. The estimate document says that there is focus barrel damage. Its also goes on to specify, in a vague way, to replace the parts as required, calibrate and test.

I have no experience of lens repair costs thus far but I said originally if costs more than €300, $336US id be getting off lightly. Also theres the fact I bought the lens through a business and avoided whats called VAT, this equates to 25% sales tax on top of the RRP so for a €1400 the repair cost is still under this. The shop is about an hour from where I live so its cheaper for me to drive there then get it shipped.

What do you think?, in the scheme of things 281 wont be missed perhaps.

As long as it works and it is a fraction of the price. Is there a warranty on the shops work or the parts that may be replaced. Can you keep your old parts? Not quite the same but as a mechanic for XX years I tell people to ask for their old parts when getting a repair. It keeps the shop honest and makes sure the work is done. Sounds like a deal so far. =]

are they actually capable of working on this item for you? Alot of places claim to have skills they dont have at all.

Not uncommon to ask something simple and have them have no clue as to how to do it, or the concept of what you asked. for example, once asked a repair shop what made their two types of lens repair options 100$ different in price.. was told "uh we use the blue bottle of lube for the more expensive one"

Most reactions

Back