Damen- Black and White

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new model who I was shocked had never been scouted or photographed before I met him this week. I'm really looking forward to seeing where his career goes in modeling.

Shot in natural light. Canon 5D MKI, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 set to f/4, 1600th sec, ISO 800.
_mg_9728_by_danostergren-dblku3h.jpg

A new model who I was shocked had never been scouted or photographed before I met him this week. I'm really looking forward to seeing where his career goes in modeling.

Shot in natural light. Canon 5D MKI, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 set to f/4, 1600th sec, ISO 800.
You sure get a lot out of that older full frame camera. Very impressive.

You sure get a lot out of that older full frame camera. Very impressive.
Thank you. Yeah, the camera itself doesn't matter much, it's the lighting that counts.

Always been a fan of your work, but IMO while a good shot, it's not the best I've seen you produce. You have some strong lines from the back and arm that lead direct to the face, but the OOF plants in the foreground override them leaving the viewer's eye to wander. When i look at the photo I see the blob in the bottom left, not the model. Maybe a much tighter crop to peel away some of that OOF would allow the model to emerge more.

Dan, this is a great shot. My only quibble is the watch which takes my eye away from his face. Maybe burn it down a bit? Reading his tattoo is he ex-military? cheers

Always been a fan of your work, but IMO while a good shot, it's not the best I've seen you produce. You have some strong lines from the back and arm that lead direct to the face, but the OOF plants in the foreground override them leaving the viewer's eye to wander. When i look at the photo I see the blob in the bottom left, not the model. Maybe a much tighter crop to peel away some of that OOF would allow the model to emerge more.
Thanks for the feedback. The out of focus plants are an element to the photo that I personally like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Dan, this is a great shot. My only quibble is the watch which takes my eye away from his face. Maybe burn it down a bit? Reading his tattoo is he ex-military? cheers
Thanks. I agree, I honestly wish I'd just had him take it off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
I disagree! The watch is at such an angle that it's just another small element that personalizes the model and makes him more compelling. Much like the tattoo, which is much more obvious and draws the eye. But so what? It's literally part of who he is. I also like the OOF foreground plants, and figured those were intentional. It puts the viewer on the ground, casually sitting next to the model - I like it!

Honestly, these subtleties are hardly distractions to such a casual, well-conceived portrait. Let the personality shine through, I say. Next thing we know, someone will pipe up that it's not cropped vertically! ;)

Just another great shot! Hopefully he will go far, and I am sure port shots like this will help him a lot! :)

Just another great shot! Hopefully he will go far, and I am sure port shots like this will help him a lot! :)
Thank you! I hope he does go far; he's been through alot in his life and I genuinely believe he deserves the success.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back