I hope you didn't take it as me calling you out! I just meant that normally when someone would present something like this (were the effect drives the image) people tend to see the effect over everything, which in this case while it is an interesting texture it just seems to be plopped on top. Kind of like a painter not mixing their own paints, instead just buying the colors they want.
I totally appreciated the input! Outside influence is always appreciated. You gave me another "tool" to use. :thumbup:
Just remember I come from a graphic artist background so images like this are a dime a dozen, so I may be a lot harsher on it than others here! I really like the direction you took with the second one even more, the saturation is a bit high on it though I can see you really softened the highlights and worked the effect even more!
I came from a fine arts/crafts background. So my 2D vocabulary is still developing. If you think you are harsh, you need to work on it more.

I too feel I need to drop the saturation a little more.
Excellent work so far, I'd like to see you continue this in another photo as well. It could be used as a unique unifying element throughout a series quite easily.
I need some more people pics to experiment with. I haven't done a lot of "portraiture". I am trying to go that direction though. Again, thanks for your input here. :thumbup:
Make sure and write down all of the steps you take so that once you find one you really like you can recreate it.
Mostly I was just tinkering to see what my new toys could do. In further experimenting, that particular effect changes a lot depending on various things with the original, noise, contrast, brightness, smoothness...I kinda like that though. It's more work than "woohoo! vignette!" and the results are varied.
To go on this more, it wouldn't hurt to create an action in Photoshop so that you can be guaranteed to reproduce the exact same effect ad nauseam
See above. Would you always want it to be exactly the same though? I mean, across a series, would it just become like you said, same effect plunked on an image?
Honestly, I am surprised as many people liked it (them) as they did.
Cool!