Damselfly C&C - part 2

brianroe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianroe.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am starting a new thread because I misnamed the last one http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/280789-dragonfly-c-c.html and I tried applying the suggestions I got from there and here is what I came up with.

ISO100 f/4.5 1/400 natural light.

damselfly.jpg

Please let me know if I am working in the right direction.

Not bad! You would do better to kick your ISO up to 400 or so, and drop your aperture two stops.. say F8. This will give you more DOF. I saw in the other thread you are using a 100mm Canon Macro, yes?

You could lighten this one up a bit.. not really underexposed, just too dark for good detail!

View attachment 6602

Flash is a good idea... although if you only have a pop-up flash, that will limit you... there are some small diffusers for popup flash that will help.... such as Amazon.com: Interfit Strobies Small On Camera Diffuser: Camera & Photo or Amazon.com: Lumiquest Soft Screen, a Diffusion Sheet for On-Camera Pop-up Flashes.: Camera & Photo

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks cgibson1 for the info on the diffuser for popup flash. I am going to try and get a real flash soon. Any suggestions as to which one to get? I was looking at the 430ex II.... It is more in my price range vs. the 580, and would be a a huge improvement over the onboard flash.

Yes I am using the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro lens.

I don't shoot Canon.. so not much help there! But I do know that the OEM flashes are much higher quality than the 3rd party ones! Although, since you will need to learn to shoot flash in manual mode anyway, you could pick up a Vivitar 285 or a Yongnuo 560 for a lot less...

This one has better control of light, but f 4.5 it´s a short aperture for macro, if you up to f 11 or more then the back of the damselfly also would be to focus.

Most reactions

Back