Dark Eyed Junco.

b_twill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nice! I love Junco's! Spotted the first one the season this week under our feeders!

OP
dannylightning

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
thanks,

it does not look that grainy on my screen.

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice Shot. I think what JC is seeing is not grain but looks like what I call goose bumps from global sharpening but I could be wrong.

OP
dannylightning

dannylightning

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks, I did sharpen the heck out of it,, I don't normally do that

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Rgollar

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I do see signs of over sharpening. I usually sharpen just the subject then mask out the background so it does not effect the back ground. It makes a big difference. Im by no means saying its a bad photo because I think its nice. But if processed a little differently it could really stand out. Very nice birds shots you have been putting up lately

Rgollar

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
This is just a really quick edit showing just the bird being sharpened and the back ground just blurred out. Not how I would go about doing this but it just shows how just the subject gets sharpened. Normally in photo shop I create a duplicate layer then I do a high pass sharpen then mask out the back ground. There is so many different ways to do this but this is just a quick run down. You tube is a great place to learn the different ways and then just pick your method you like.

This is not my image its dannylightning photo I only edit it because it said it was ok on his profile
bird2.jpg

OP
dannylightning

dannylightning

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thank you.. i have been having a good run and seeing different types of birds lately.

to my eye the blurred out background does not really do anything different to me. i guess my eyes are drawn to the bird becasue when i look at the one i posted i really did not notice the background.. when i went back and forth from my edit to yours i was not seeing any difference till i really paid attention to the background, than i noticed what you did.

i mainly use lightroom to edit my photos, i just got that photo shop/lightroom CC deal. I just recently got started using photoshop, learned how to do a few things like move or remove objects and some other usefull stuff but for most of my photos it seems like all i need is lightroom so i have just been sticking with that. plus i like to have a finished copy in raw and J-peg and from what i understand once you send something to Photoshop its no longer a raw file so that also detours me a bit from going the photo shop rout if i don't really need to.

i normally only sharpen the images a little, i just kind of wanted to see how the image would look if i cranked the sharpening up to max and i though it looked descent so i left it that way..

Rgollar

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I am by no means saying what you did is wrong just another approach at things. I believe photography is what ever suits your eyes and trying different things is great. Again nice photos you been posting. I hope I didnt offend you by posting the edit because I am by no means a pro just a hobbyist who enjoys learning as much as possible.

OP
dannylightning

dannylightning

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I am by no means saying what you did is wrong just another approach at things. I believe photography is what ever suits your eyes and trying different things is great. Again nice photos you been posting. I hope I didnt offend you by posting the edit because I am by no means a pro just a hobbyist who enjoys learning as much as possible.

nope, i was not offended, its always cool to hear other peoples ideas and how they do things.. thanks for the compliments. i do need to get back on photoshop here soon and play with it some more though..

jcdeboever

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I bet that one would you did would look great printed on aluminum.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most reactions