What's new

Darling

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
400
Location
Charleston, SC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. Some more noob pictures. Let me know what I can do to improve, please. Thanks in advance. $IMG_2393.webp$IMG_2358.webp
 
Well, getting the right exposure and proper focus placement shouldn't be of concern to you any more, as you're past that. Now the challenge is to take images that are interesting to viewers.

In the first image, the use of a slow shutter allowed for the moving train to be blurred. Excellent technique. However, in your framing, we see a bunch of railway ties in the middle foreground, a position where you'd normally place stuff you absolutely want us to see. So, given that juxtaposition of a bunch of ties and a moving train, what narrative do you want us to create? Another method of using motion would have been to pan with the train (minimal blur there) and blurring the foreground, which may have given a feeling of speed in a better way, and reduced the focus on the railway ties.

Unless you have a thing for railway ties. Then the picture is almost perfect.

The second image shows a good use of converging lines, but beyond that, what should we be reading into the image? How does the stack visible past the train contribute to the image? How do the trees on the right contribute to the image? You need to now think about the next step in your image making: What do you want to viewer to see, and how will your arrangement of elements in the frame help with that? If the main subject is the star soloist, then the foreground and background are the backup chorus. Hopefully, they're on the same song...
 
Thanks, I have also noticed that exposure is not my issue. Matter of fact that I am very comfortable with the settings and how to accomplish what I want to do exposure wise. DAMN COMPOSITION! After looking at the first one I agree that I should have panned however I am going to make an excuse...side note I hate making excuses. I heard the train coming and quickly threw together my camera and lens and was barely able to get a shot off. The second one I liked the rail ties because their were also in a pattern and I thought the smoke stack added to the whole industrial feel the of picture anyway. Again...DAMN COMPOSITION!

Thanks for the feedback pgriz you have been a true standup person providing great feedback especially after how I first lashed out at you from frustration. I honestly apologize for how I reacted to your first feedback of me and we have obviously been able to move on as adults.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I have also noticed that exposure is not my issue. Matter of fact that I am very comfortable with the settings and how to accomplish what I want to do exposure wise. DAMN COMPOSITION! After looking at the first one I agree that I should have panned however I am going to make an excuse...side note I hate making excuses. I heard the train coming and quickly through together my camera and lens and was barely able to get a shot off. The second one I liked the rail ties because their were also in a pattern and I thought the smoke stack added to the whole industrial feel the of picture anyway. Again...DAMN COMPOSITION!

Thanks for the feedback pgriz you have been a true standup person providing great feedback especially after how I first lashed out at you from frustration. I honestly apologize for how I reacted to your first feedback of me and we have obviously been able to move on as adults.

Really? Don't remember that. ;) I do understand frustration, though, as very often the idea in my head just doesn't want to form itself in the camera. But it takes time to get to the point that much of the creative decision-making is internalized and becomes sub-conscious. It's a journey for all of us. Some are further down the road than others. But it is still a continuing journey.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom