Darn Competitive Photography Programs - Improving the Odds

Photography as a profession and or art is not playtime.

If you can't enjoy it, why do it? Perhaps "play time" was the wrong choice of words, but if you don't try to take it out of context, you can understand what I meant.

Maybe the question is why should (limited?) resources be spent on some who just wants to dabble in the art.
I don't believe I mentioned anything about "dabbling." I spend far more time with photography than what would simply be considered "dabbling." If I spend most of that time on personal and artistic ideas, rather than retail profit purposes, that is my prerogative.

Contrary to popular belief photography is all about the money to those who have committed to making it a profession.
If that's the case (which I do not believe it is), then I feel for those committed to making it a profession. There's so much more to photography than making money, which is probably why so many new upstarts get frustrated and quit - they only see the money, and nothing else.

It's obvious that some of us have different perceptions of what photography means for us individually, but frankly, I didn't post this topic so I could get lambasted for and dissuaded from trying to pursue a passion of mine. Nor do I wish to have a lengthy debate. It's actually quite disconcerting that you who seem to enjoy photography try to stifle its growth. Sure it may not be my primary career (however it just as easily could be if for some reason dental school does not work out, plan B is what they call it), but at the same time I do not plan to get a photography degree and then just sit on my camera. In my opinion, some of the greatest work comes from free talent, not desperation to make money.

If you don't want to provide constructive feedback on my work that's fine, but please don't try and convince me that I don't have a right to study photography at a university simply because I'm not only in it for the money. For all anyone knows, if I were to give up my seat to someone who thought they wanted to make it their career, a year into the program they may realize that it's not the career for them and drop out. Then who would be the worse investment? It is impossible to judge 100% correctly who is more deserving of a limited enrollment spot.

Dentists have one of the highest rates of suicide and you want to add to that by taking on a 2nd career? :confused: One which you don't put full effort into, which will cause even more stress when you have unhappy clients?

Photography as a profession and or art is not playtime.

If you can't enjoy it, why do it? Perhaps "play time" was the wrong choice of words, but if you don't try to take it out of context, you can understand what I meant.

Maybe the question is why should (limited?) resources be spent on some who just wants to dabble in the art.
I don't believe I mentioned anything about "dabbling." I spend far more time with photography than what would simply be considered "dabbling." If I spend most of that time on personal and artistic ideas, rather than retail profit purposes, that is my prerogative.

Contrary to popular belief photography is all about the money to those who have committed to making it a profession.
If that's the case (which I do not believe it is), then I feel for those committed to making it a profession. There's so much more to photography than making money, which is probably why so many new upstarts get frustrated and quit - they only see the money, and nothing else.

It's obvious that some of us have different perceptions of what photography means for us individually, but frankly, I didn't post this topic so I could get lambasted for and dissuaded from trying to pursue a passion of mine. Nor do I wish to have a lengthy debate. It's actually quite disconcerting that you who seem to enjoy photography try to stifle its growth. Sure it may not be my primary career (however it just as easily could be if for some reason dental school does not work out, plan B is what they call it), but at the same time I do not plan to get a photography degree and then just sit on my camera. In my opinion, some of the greatest work comes from free talent, not desperation to make money.

If you don't want to provide constructive feedback on my work that's fine, but please don't try and convince me that I don't have a right to study photography at a university simply because I'm not only in it for the money. For all anyone knows, if I were to give up my seat to someone who thought they wanted to make it their career, a year into the program they may realize that it's not the career for them and drop out. Then who would be the worse investment? It is impossible to judge 100% correctly who is more deserving of a limited enrollment spot.

So; hear comes the crying. If you do not wish to have a lengthy debate then why post a topic. Clearly you missed my point by a mile. No one wishes to stifle growth. That is just paranoid thinking. More importantly I do believe that you have the right to study photography.

Let me put my words in another way. I believe you have the right to study photography. I believe that you are going about it all wrong if BYU has limited enrollment. I believe photography as a second career is the wrong approach. The field requires much more dedication then that.

These are my thoughts. Wether you or anyone else perceives them as right or wrong means nothing to me. In a forum atmosphere you post questions, concerns, observations. Thoughts are exchanged. Sometimes things are taken the wrong way. Sometimes feelings get hurt. Rule #1 is take it with a grain of salt and understand that we are exchanging ideas. If all you wanted to hear was go for it you came to the wrong place.

Love & Bass

So; hear comes the crying. If you do not wish to have a lengthy debate then why post a topic. Clearly you missed my point by a mile.

To be honest, your point had nothing to do with my original post, that's the problem. I would love to have a lengthy debate on making a portfolio for a photography program application. I do not see the need, however, to have a lengthy debate on something you decided to latch on to, that was not even a part of my initial inquiry. It's as simple as that. I asked for input on making a portfolio - not for someone to hijack my post and try to push their own skewed opinions of the ethics of the situation on me. Please do feel free to respond if you have something constructive to add. Thanks.

I thought I was able to shed some light on the matter. I gave a local reference. Ideas on what admission personnel are looking, and thoughts on your approach. You are correct though this has deviated to a childish banter with no useful info. Good luck with your Dentistry program and keep us posted to it's progress.

)'(

You won't want to hear this but you most likely will be denied specifically because you have such a polar opposite major.

From your writing alone we can tell you don't want to become a professional, you want to become an advanced hobbyist and use photography as a creative outlet. That's fine. 99% of photographers fall into the hobbyist category I would be willing to wager. There are a very small few that choose to pursue it as the be all end all of their life, and devote 110% of their time to it. This includes the good, and the bad that come with being a pro photographer.

I had a friend try and do the photography program while taking another major, he was flat out rejected for the reasons others have mentioned. Especially when spaces are limited and you would be taking away a space from someone else who wants to do NOTHING BUT photography.

You clearly have a willingness to learn. See if there are photography courses you would otherwise be able to audit (not being in the program) or a part time program that is offered outside of the principle program.

I dont know if you have started Uni or not, but most schools have limits on where you can get credits. I did a double major and it was extremely limiting where I could, and could not get credits. Dentistry would fall under a BSc and they are going to want you to hammer out core compentency courses in a number of areas of science. Your fine arts electives will be extremely limited (prolly 4 courses, at whatever credit equivalent BYU gives per course).

Best of luck.

My school had 75 Spots for Photography, they definitely wanted people who were 100% committed to it, but I'm sure enthusiasm really helps. I wasn't the best technically but they knew I was ambitious and eager to learn, and they saw potential in my work.

If you were to shrug it off as "oh well I think it could be fun" rather then "I have a passion for this and really want to learn how to truly express myself through my camera" in the interview, or something like that, then you would probably not get the spot.

My only suggestion if it worries you (though it doesn't seem to) that oyu may not get in based on your "career" choice, is to apply to a school with open spots available. 75 Students is NOT a lot, we had hundreds and hundreds apply.

We have local colleges around here with a very easy to get into Photography program, Vs big universities or well known art schools that have less space. But really - the choice is yours. Dream big and go for what it is that YOU want, where you want :)

Let us know what the outcome is, and I'd love to see your final choice on Portfolio Images (also if it makes you feel better, the images you posted kicked the **** out of my images when I first applied to college... and I shot my portfolio with a fujifinepix s5100 with my ****ty on camera flash lol)

RONDAL and Melissa, I really appreciate your input. Just for a little bit of clarification since I've seen others mention my major, my major would in fact be Photography. To be accepted to dental school, you only need to take a number of standard requirements - around 48 credit hours if I remember correctly. Of course, a degree in something is still a necessity to show your dedication to learning, but it can be anything from arts, to sciences. I was advised to "major in something you like/think you could use if for some reason dental school doesn't work out for you." This may not resolve the underlying issue that seems to bother some that my career goal does not coincide with my choice of entering the photography program, but I don't think it will be a reason for rejection since they won't be seeing a "Dentistry" major. Moreover, I wasn't told anything of an "interview" to get into the photography program, but just that a portfolio was all that was needed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sneak my way into the program, but if I get accepted I'm not going to feel bad about it. Those who truly want to become photographers, whether through BYU or another school, will have that chance regardless of me filling a spot or not.

My first intention was to take photography classes as electives, but I was told that no photography classes are available unless you are accepted to the photography program. This certainly doesn't make it easy for those of us who want to be advanced hobbyists to leave spots open for the career students. I realize that there are other options such as other schools that aren't so limited in enrollment, but this is an impossibility for me at this time since I am already enrolled and taking classes at BYU. Perhaps if I was single, didn't have a full-time job, wife, or children I could attend two schools, but such is not the case. I'm of the mind that Melissa mentioned, Dream big and go for what it is that YOU want. If I don't take photography classes now at BYU, it won't be for another 8-9 years when I graduate from dental school that I'll possibly have time to devote to outside courses, and that's not something I'm willing to do if I have the option to take them now. If my choice to enroll in the photography program makes one person give up on their dreams to become a professional photographer, they probably didn't have what it takes anyway. Call me cold hearted, but this life is all about perseverance and hard work until you either reach your goals, or realize that you need to go in another direction. If I do get rejected because of my dentistry goals, then I will clearly need to go in another direction, however I see no reason to give up before even trying.

Thank you for your compliments Melissa, however I'm sure your work now is 100x better than mine :) I will be sure to keep you posted on my final portfolio and the outcome of my application. Thanks to all who have voiced their thoughts on this.

P.S. I apologize if this seems slightly essay-ish, I'm still too accustomed to writing my rhetorical English papers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back