Darn it... Canon G11

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I was wandering around Best Buy tonight... I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow for some time off before heading over seas for work and of course I found myself in the camera department.

A buddy of mine has been rubbing his G11 in my face for a while now and after playing with his and being thoroughly impressed with the features and image quality, I broke down and bought one. I figured what the heck... it beats lugging a 1D around on vacation... but I know I'll miss the DSLR. I think. I don't know but I'm giving it a shot.

Here it is. I just shot these images of my baby, fresh out of the box using my 1D4.

1026764630_BNB5j-L.jpg

1026764586_bdvaR-L.jpg

1026764534_9qEtF-L.jpg

One of the things I love about this camera is that I can actually use a speedlite with it and I can also trigger my studio lights with it... as you can see by this image of my 1D4 taken with my G11:

1026764701_5qP2T-L.jpg

I'll share more of my thoughts after I get back from my Vegas trip this week. Hopefully it impresses me enough to take it along on my over seas trip next week. We'll see.

I bought one for my wife as well and she like that a lot. I really like the image quality from the G11.

I noticed the macro function of the camera is not bad at all. It takes pretty detail close up photos.

Very nice! I've been holding off so I can see the Nikon P7000, but the G11 is high on my list too.

The only thing I don't like so far is the inability to set the NR level on JPG files. I'm a RAW shooter usually so is isn't a major issue... But while on vacation it would be nice to shoot in JPG and get 2,000 images on a card vs 300. I'll see how much this really bothers me.

G11= grrrrrreat looking camera. Hot shoe + Top-mounted exposure comp dial +

Good-looking black body + 5x zoom ratio + Image Stabilizer +

Economical file size + Modest weight + Canon brand +

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I just can't give up the DSLR quite yet.

My DSLR follows me everywhere and I don't mind taking it on a trip.......but sometimes I wouldn't mind something smaller and light. Good friend of mine has a G10.

I love the ISO dial......all DSLR's should use that.

Yeah, I been thinking of getting one but the G12 will be out soon so waiting to get that. Nikon P7000 looks to be a G11 clone. They have always been way behind Canon here so I guess this is a good move on there part but dont see it competing with the new G12.

I have been invited to the Freedom Tower construction site in NYC. They are going to allow me to photograph while visiting. My first day, I took out my 7D and lens and they all got 'scared'. Told me to put it away and next time I come to bring a smaller camera...:mrgreen:

I have been debating with myself between the Canon G series and the Lumix series. So, I will be waiting to see what you have to say here after shooting for a while. I am expecting to head back to the construction site in a couple of weeks. I have a pass that will allow me 4 more visits over the next 2 years.

I'm getting ready to head out the door, but here's a couple of snap shots I took while playing with the camera this morning.

Here's a shot of the dog, I used a 430EXII flash on this shot.

1027164674_zMx7z-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/1027164674_zMx7z-X2.jpg

Here's a ISO 800 shot without a flash being used. I'm surprised how clean the image is really. I'm shooting in JPG.

1027172205_Te95u-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/1027172205_Te95u-X2.jpg

I'll post more images when I get home Sunday. That will be the true test.

One more nit picky item, the camera is much slower than I'm used to. Of course I'm used to high end DSLR's, so this is to be expected. It's not painfully slow, but there is a little shutter lag (nothing to be concerned with I don't think) and it can take a second before the image processes and displays on the LCD.

Verdict so far: I still like it quite a bit. I'll let you know more in a few days.

I am very tempted to snatch one up myself. Interested to see/hear your thoughts after the trip.

I have been invited to the Freedom Tower construction site in NYC. They are going to allow me to photograph while visiting. My first day, I took out my 7D and lens and they all got 'scared'. Told me to put it away and next time I come to bring a smaller camera...:mrgreen:

I have been debating with myself between the Canon G series and the Lumix series. So, I will be waiting to see what you have to say here after shooting for a while. I am expecting to head back to the construction site in a couple of weeks. I have a pass that will allow me 4 more visits over the next 2 years.

I bought my kids a Panasonic Lumix FZ-28 when we went to Alaska a couple of years ago. They got some outstanding images. The Lumix LX-5 might be worth looking in to as well.

I seriously considered a GF-1 but alas, the whole point of buying a small camera for me was to reduce my kit. While the 4/3's GF-1 is smaller than a 5D or 1D, it still requires me to carry various lenses. It's still a "kit" vs. just a camera.

The trade-off, in my mind, was the GF-1 would give me images more to my liking. Better DoF control and better quality all around. Although DPR compared the images from the G11 to the GF-1 and as they noted, there is very little difference in the image quality, although I could see a noticeable difference in their test images (which favored the GF-1).

In the end I wanted a single camera with full manual control which was compatible with my accessories such as my speedlites. Also, one that didn't require me to carry a bag of lenses... and would fit easily in a cargo pocket in my shorts.

The G11 is, to my estimation, the best camera for that. But if I don't like the IQ, next up will be a GF-1 I think. :)

The Nikon P7000 looks to be a killer camera, but I couldn't get my hands on one - obviously. But I would have probably still opted for the G11 given my other Canon accessories that it's compatible with.

I've had a chance to play with the camera today, so here are my initial thoughts.

What I like:
1) The controls, while physically different than the DSLRs, are surprisingly familiar if you're a Canon shooter.
2) The ability to use a speedlite simply rocks. This makes this camera stand out from other P&S cameras.
3) The image quality at ISO 400 or less in good light is spot on. The dynamic range isn't quite as good as a larger sensored DSLR but it's not bad, it's very usable.
4) The ability to shoot at ISO 3200 is nice, the images are very usable, however see my negatives.
5) The size and weight are very useful for lugging around all day. It's just about perfect.
6) It feels very rugged, it inspires confidence.
7) Full manual control is kick butt, especially when using a speedlite.
8) I'm not a huge fan of swivel screens but it's growing on me.
9) Auto mode is very useful and produces very good images in surprisingly diverse scenarios.
10) The exposure compensation dial is very nice.
11) It has custom functions (2) and also a user definable button. Very useful.
12) Battery life is very good.

What I don't like:
1) If shooting JPG anything over ISO 400 starts to lose detail. Shooting in RAW allows you to shoot comfortably up to ISO 800.
2) No control over the NR in JPG stinks.
3) It hunts focusing in low light a little bit. This seems to be reduced using the optical view finder vs. the LCD for some reason. It also can hunt while focusing at extended zoom ranges.
4) Due to the cameras small size it's a bit awkward to handle with a speedlite attached.

Overall I'm still very pleased with this camera. I spent about 45 minutes shooting with a Sony NEX 5 today thinking I wanted one... But in the end I like the G11 better.

Here are a couple of shots from today. I edited these with my iPad using Photogene as my editor. It's not ideal but that's all I brought with me computer wise.

90906bc3.png

59406fd2.png

212b4138.png

851dae02.png

Most reactions

Back