Database/management software.

IgsEMT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pictureperfectny.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Folks, I'm looking for a database of some sort...

Right now I'm paper/pencil person, right down which gigs need editing, which albums needed to be designed, which prints are needed to be placed, etc etc.
I'd really like to have something that is more organized and computer based.

Any recommendation?
Thanks in advance!

You might want to check this out.
The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

LR4 works quite well for me.

Thanks.
Based on the description, it isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
Paper Pencil format works fine (so was shooting film), I'm looking for a software that would kind of replace that... google tasks are nice but I need something more specific. I don't even know if what I want actually exists.
Try to describe what you want it to do in more detail, and we may be able to help.

I use Lightroom, but also use a database I created myself to handle some other photo tracking tasks I needed. I've been writing and coding databases for about 15 years, both for personal and professional reasons.

Why not use Excel? Access is one you could look into

Because Excel is NOT a data base and does NOT do the things the OP said he wanted to do.

Access is a database program but it is EXTREMELY complex.

I don't use this myself (but may in the future) but it does look like an excellent business/project management software and from what you described a business/project management software is what you want.

http://www.pixifi.com/

http://vimeo.com/user4043020/about-pixifi

What you are looking for is management/organization software, not database software.

Database management system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Database Management System (DBMS) is a set of programs that enables you to store, modify, and extract information from a database, it also provides users with tools to add, delete, access, modify, and analyze data stored in one location.

Try to describe what you want it to do in more detail, and we may be able to help.

I use Lightroom, but also use a database I created myself to handle some other photo tracking tasks I needed. I've been writing and coding databases for about 15 years, both for personal and professional reasons.

Buckster, you're back!!! Then again, I was away for a little while.

Here's what I been doing so far
Sheet of paper with three columns:
Edits | Albums | To Print
name name Name
name name Name
name name Name
name name Name

It's been working thus far but I'd love to be able to track when things are completed (yes I can put a date next to it) but at the end of the months I have too much paper piling up and I really hate wasting paper.
Perhaps database isn't accurate term, as KmH pointed out, but I'm looking for a software that can allow me to do the same as paper/pencil but in more organized manner and maybe even reminders, maybe even accessing my google contacts to synchronize the client lists.

Thanks Folks!!

Perhaps database isn't accurate term, as KmH pointed out, but I'm looking for a software that can allow me to do the same as paper/pencil but in more organized manner and maybe even reminders, maybe even accessing my google contacts to synchronize the client lists.

Thanks Folks!!

Methinks you're looking for cataloging software.

Thanks Folks!!

Methinks you're looking for cataloging software.

Perhaps...

Any advice?

@Light Guru. I looked at pixifi, it looks interesting; not sure if web based is a good thing or bad. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both.

Perhaps...

Any advice?

Look into Labels of any software. You can assign those labels to your images. This is not the same as star ratings or XMP/IPTC information.

Usually, there are 10 labels available in most editing software. They may be color-coded as well. You can typically set them up however you want. You can define the Red(1) label as unsorted, Blue(2) as sorted, Yellow(3) as Proof Copy, Green(4) as Shown to Customer, Purple(5) as Sent to Lab, White as Archived(9)....

A little while ago, I asked the question on studio management software.
Just found one and wanted to share Award Winning Free Business Management Software By StudioCloud. I just signed up with them, we'll see how it goes :)
Thanks again for all the feedback.

How you get from your description of pieces of paper with three columns to Studiocloud is completely beyond me. If what you actually said is even remotely true, Excel is more than you would ever need, and it has the advantage of ubiquity, simplicity, and knowledge everywhere. JD

Most reactions

Back