Day at the zoo

KnightofDoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the Stone Zoo in Stoneham, MA. Got some decent shots. Tried to capture as little cage, fence and enclosure as possible. Some animals that I really wanted to capture were either far away or had too much cage in front of them. My favorite photo is either the Otter, Gilla Monster, or Flamingo. Although my favorite animal to see was either the Black Bear or Jaguar. Let me know what you guys think
$DSC_0869 edited.jpg$DSC_0702 edited.jpg
$DSC_0738 edited.jpg$DSC_0796_edited.jpg
$DSC_0837 edited.jpg$DSC_0850 edited.jpg

The biggest issue I see with these photos is the composition. They're either completely square in the frame and lack interest (the eye has nowhere to go), or it seems like it's in the wrong orientation; like with the otter. Why have so much background space and chop half of the otter off? :)

Also; when you get on the animal's level you get a much more intimate view. When you're above the animal, like with the wolf, it conveys a sense of superiority. It feels like the animal is disconnected from the photograph.

I agree with the above post. With all animals, especially predators like the wolf you must get down to their level if possible.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say unless you can get down to their level or get them up to yours, don't bother! A high angle looking down will always make a predator appear inferior or subordinate which, of course, they are not.

I completely agree with the 1st to posts. The most glaring issue in your set is the poor composition. You managed to cut off parts of the bodies in every picture but the Wolf, but as Forkie said, you shot from too high of a position. Even or even lower is what you want.

I completely agree with you guys. I tried to get shots at eye level with the Coyote, not Wolf, but there was just too much fence and it probably would've have the same inferior feel that the POV gave. I'll post the shots at eye level I got of the Coyote and Jaguar which I would prefer but there was just too much cage. The problem with the Otter shots is that their enclosure is really low to the ground and there's physically no way to get on their level and with that shot I was honestly lucky to get that much of the Otter. The one thing I was at fault at and didn't think too much of is that the shots are square. I'm actually planning on going back and spending more time with the animals and will try and get better angles. I'll post the other shots I have when I get home

Shoot vertical subjects in vertical format... i.e Flamingo.. much taller than wide.. same for otter.....

Glad you took our CCs as positive thing, because that's how they were meant. One thing I had to learn is that when posting pictures, people only see the pictures you post, not the other conditions that limited how, and why you shot them in a certain way. You need to be your own hardest critic. You'll be amazed at how fast you move up your personal learning curve.

I will say though I love the color you got. I recently went to a local zoo to shoot and you're absolutely right...sometimes the enclosures can limit your shots. I had at least one case where I couldn't avoid cutting of the feet of the animal I was trying to photograph (in this case pigs...it's a petting zoo mostly...emphasis on smaller farm type creatures.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back