dealing with street photography.

kekaru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
by which I mean taking photos of random people on the street, it can be stressful, how do you deal with it?

Location, location, location....the photographer's that is! :lol:

Shoot from the shade into a sunny area, across a busy street, from a high position down or from a low position up, from bridges, across a narrow river or canal, from a car, etc.

Using an articulated LCD screen and shooting from the waist also works, even in plazas. At an event or a touristy spot, cameras are hardly noticed at all, particularly if there are lots of people present.

skieur

Shoot from the shade into a sunny area, across a busy street, from a high position down or from a low position up, from bridges, across a narrow river or canal, from a car, etc.

Using an articulated LCD screen and shooting from the waist also works, even in plazas. At an event or a touristy spot, cameras are hardly noticed at all, particularly if there are lots of people present.

skieur

Also I find that helps is to have a friend with you. I have a rather large daunting looking friend who is more than happy to accompany me on my photo shoots.

skieur

Also I find that helps is to have a friend with you. I have a rather large daunting looking friend who is more than happy to accompany me on my photo shoots.

I have a well-trained airedale who does not require a leash and that can be a great help too.

skieur

What's to be stressed out about?
Maybe he's doing candid portraits of strangers with a ringflash and a fisheye. ;) I can see where that would generate some issues.

That makes it look like you're photographing some one from the inside of a toiler bowl.
Yes, and it puts you right in their face with a bright light. :D Actually, if you go to Strobist there was a write up of a guy using an Orbis ringflash with a FE and it looked pretty cool. Of course I remember a while back on POTN there was a thread where a guy came across a photog doing street photography with a studio ringflash; the guy was just putting it right in peoples faces and shooting. I can see how that would get someone a little tweaked.

Maybe he's doing candid portraits of strangers with a ringflash and a fisheye. ;) I can see where that would generate some issues.

That makes it look like you're photographing some one from the inside of a toiler bowl.
Yes, and it puts you right in their face with a bright light. :D Actually, if you go to Strobist there was a write up of a guy using an Orbis ringflash with a FE and it looked pretty cool. Of course I remember a while back on POTN there was a thread where a guy came across a photog doing street photography with a studio ringflash; the guy was just putting it right in peoples faces and shooting. I can see how that would get someone a little tweaked.

What a rip off.

I was doing it first and with a ABR800. :er:

I mostly use prime lenses, and seeing I am lacking a telephoto prime and my zoom telephoto isn't the best quality lens in the world I need to get physically close to people, which is a... tad awkward to say the least.

What a rip off.

I was doing it first and with a ABR800. :er:

I actually contemplated trying that with mine but it seems to require so much effort just to keep the damn thing in place on it's mount. I know they are trying to reach a price point but damn. . . .

I mostly use prime lenses, and seeing I am lacking a telephoto prime and my zoom telephoto isn't the best quality lens in the world I need to get physically close to people, which is a... tad awkward to say the least.
I recently watched a street shooting session with Jay Maisel (where my sig came from) and he was shooting with a basic 70-300 zoom, no top of the line just a glorified kit lens. The guy makes a good deal of money selling the images he takes with that lens......
he preferred it over the higher end lenses because it was less conspicuous.

Most reactions

Back