dearth of ladies' photos- why?

ive got some up.
i honestly never thought we didnt poist as much. i used to post way more than i do now.
i dunno why....

manda said:
i honestly never thought we didnt poist as much. i used to post way more than i do now.
i dunno why....
I've noticed that in general from everyone and not just the girls. I don't know if people are being too picky about their pictures or what but there seems to be a slowdown as of late. I personally don't like any of my shots but I post them just for fun.

If it were up to me I would only post maybe 1 picture per 3,000 because I don't think they are worth showing. The only reason I do is because it's part of the forum participation experience and it's also a good motivation to go take some pictures.

This actually brings up a question....are some of you people too picky about your shots and will only post quality ones? I know that I would hardly ever post any pictures if that were the case. What's nice about this forum is that it's friendly and there's very little aggressive competition.

Harpper said:
manda said:
i dunno why....
I've noticed that in general from everyone and not just the girls. I don't know if people are being too picky about their pictures or what but there seems to be a slowdown as of late. I personally don't like any of my shots but I post them just for fun.

If it were up to me I would only post maybe 1 picture per 3,000 because I don't think they are worth showing. The only reason I do is because it's part of the forum participation experience and it's also a good motivation to go take some pictures.

This actually brings up a question....are some of you people too picky about your shots and will only post quality ones? I know that I would hardly ever post any pictures if that were the case. What's nice about this forum is that it's friendly and there's very little aggressive competition.

This should probably be a whole nother thread, but Ill reply for the fun of it. I know that for me there is an ongoing competition with in my self to make sure that my next post is better than the last. In the back of my head Im looking for comments like "wow Graig, thats the best photo you have posted yet". I love getting my photos torn down, but its nice to have someone notice that your work is getting better.

Sometimes Ill post some pictures out of boredom. But that doesnt happen often. Lately I havnt been taking as many pictures either. The weather is so crappy that I just havnt had anything new to photograph.

cool! i noticed sat (sun for you?) when you posted, but i was super busy this weekend and did not want to rush my respose- need to savor the photos before i comment....

For me it goes back to the "encouragement/critique" thread. Too much of my stuff is at the beginner level and I don't want to bore everybody to tears. Much of it doesn't really fit into the themes section either.

I rather enjoy the male/female ratio here!

For me it goes back to the "encouragement/critique" thread. Too much of my stuff is at the beginner level and I don't want to bore everybody to tears. Much of it doesn't really fit into the themes section either.

that's what this place is all about, tho, nn, learning! if we were all experts, this would be kinda boring.

we all start off as beginners, but the nice thing about this kind of forum is you can learn from others who have been doing it longer. there are some excellent teachers on this website, and almost everyone here is gentle and aware of the particular vulnerability of the beginner's psyche...

too, i betcha your work is not nearly as lacking as you fear: people tend to be their own worst critic. why don't you post some and let us see?

Harpper said:
This actually brings up a question....are some of you people too picky about your shots and will only post quality ones?

Absolutely. I spent many years suffering from the I'm not good enough's and I still feel that way to an extent, and the last thing I need is to show work that isn't fully up to the par I set for myself, thereby reinforcing that the work I have actually isn't good enough, if you know what I mean.

I think it's important to post work you aren't happy with but aren't sure why. These are the images you learn the fastest from. If you think it's great already, it's hard to learn anything from it.

That said, I think it's natural to want to post only what you think is up to snuff.

I think it's important to post work you aren't happy with but aren't sure why. These are the images you learn the fastest from. If you think it's great already, it's hard to learn anything from it.

ya, in fact i kinda go exactly the opposite to orie- i never post stuff with which i am happy.
i want my shots beat all to hell here, so
1) i can learn from my mistakes
2) if it passes muster here, it will out in the real world where people do not have anywhere near the knowledge base

I think it's important to post work you aren't happy with but aren't sure why.

I agree - we should use the "bloopers" section more. I've actually seen a couple things in there that blew me away. But it's a great place to really go over what is technically wrong with an image, or help the photographer figure out why it's annoying him/her.

I usually will put up something from a recent shoot, experiment or new film. If I don't post much, it only means I'm not shooting or doing much. :cry:

(Aside to MDowdy: gee.... :blulsh2: )

markc said:
I think it's important to post work you aren't happy with but aren't sure why.

I agree with this also. Harpper asked about quality shots, which doesn't necessarily mean they are perfect. If I have something I like, but can't get it quite right for some reason, then I will certainly post it. But that (to me) isn't the same as posting a non-quality shot.

Also, since I do all darkroom work, most work that I don't like will never be printed. I am not going to spend my time and materials working on printing something that I don't like.

I suppose I could scan my contact sheets for you, if you really want to see all my crappy pics. :)

I suppose I could scan my contact sheets for you, if you really want to see all my crappy pics

hmmmm.... don't want to see all your crappy pics, but do want to see what you're all about! i detect a classic artist's melancholy in you, orie; bet you have some potent images to share...

Most reactions

Back