Death By A Thousand Cuts

Nice set Smoke, and aptly titled too. Looks like the perfect place to film a post apocalyptic movie. Looks like the town couldn't survive without the contribution of your beer money. :aiwebs_016:

@Jeff G the beer money played out 50 years ago.

The black and white is a good choice. Interesting photos and liked the backstory of the town. Have you been a little north to Fort Kaskaskia?

The black and white is a good choice. Interesting photos and liked the backstory of the town. Have you been a little north to Fort Kaskaskia?

Over the years I've explored the Missouri side from Caruthersville to St Louis, but only been as far north along the river to just below Chester, IL

@smoke665 I loved every word & image, I felt like I was next to you in a classic/vintage car wishing you had more images to further the drive/story...I too did not want for it to end...

Thanks!!!

@smoke665 I loved every word & image, I felt like I was next to you in a classic/vintage car wishing you had more images to further the drive/story...I too did not want for it to end...

Thanks!!!

Thank you. A footnote to the story. I learned from a relative that the housing project, high rise, part of which can be seen in the background of number 4, was condemned after the administrator let repairs go, and absconded with all the funds. It is also being razed. Seems almost all of the downtown area was purchased by a developer for pennies on the dollar. Supposedly to create a whole new town of retail and housing. Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes the story of Cairo may not be over.

Interesting story and photos! I'm wondering what function that windowless dome had in the last image...

Interesting story and photos! I'm wondering what function that windowless dome had in the last image...

I haven't had time to research it's history. I suspect that it was a play on the town being referred to as "Little Egypt". There are still several old mansions standing. Sad that they aren't being restored to original glory.

Most reactions

Back