Deceased Childs Family Photo Session

Having a 2 year old niece who means the world to me i can't even imagine....

knowing my 2 year old niece her favorite thing is princesses...if that is true for this little one, maybe get something Disney princess related?

I would suggest getting up high whether it be in a tree or whatever and taking a shot looking down on the family. As if from the daughters perspective looking down watching over her family. Idk if that would even be possible but maybe play with that idea. My sister has lost two sons (I've lost two nephews) and I will tell you it is very hard and I wish the pain on no one. Very sad :(

Well if they have any old photos of the child then you could ghost them into the shoes. It would convey them being there, but not really being there. I know to some this may sound past strange, but it is a way on including them in the photo without them being there, kind of like gone but not forgotten.

artistically, or as a personal memento, empty shoes, empty space, or an empty shadow, all work because in many ways it describes what happened and how it may feel. but these definitely key in on the fact that something is "missing".

in terms of a family portrait i'd much rather push the perspective that this other child is/has added to their family in some way. the balloons, or the looking downward at them, or them holding a photo/cherished item, all celebrate the life a bit more imo.

Just a space, make it a really tight composition with a gap.

I seen this done on Facebook and it was very emotional. The mom & dad had engagement photos taken with him in his uniform before being shipped out To Pakistan. He was unfortunately killed over seas, and the mom was pregnant. The photographer took the mom out for maternity shots in a field with the sun falling on her from the trees. Then he took the previous engagement photo pose, and had the mom pose the same way only holding her belly. He photoshopped a composite (sorry if I am saying that wrong), and put him into the photo behind her like he was holding her belly. He dropped the transparency down so it appeared as though he was a spirit hugging her. It was a truly touching photo, I will try to post a link to it after I find it again. I shared it a few months back. If you have any images of this baby, especially smiling sweetly, I think it would be very touching for the family. If this had happened to my toddler, I would cherish a photo like this forever. You could make the gap in the family then put his image in that gap. I'll post the link to the image in just a few minutes! Hope this helps!

I really love the shoe idea, and the shadow idea...but clearly this will be a very personal thing for the family, perhaps ask them how they feel about these ideas, or if they had something in mind already. Although i love the above 2 ideas i think somehow they will just serve as a reminder that she's no longer with them, maybe something that doesn't clearly indicate she died might be a better option.

I think that looks terrible in my opinion. Hokey.

How about a picture of the family walking down a path, holding hands, but somewhere along the line, perhaps in between the two children who would be the next youngest and next oldest to the deceased, those two have their hands out like they are looking for someone's hand to hold, and there is a space in between them, but no one there.
I realize there is a baby that someone will have to hold, so perhaps Mom on one end holding the baby, Dad on the other end and the kids in between.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back