Decisions, Decisions

prbqp1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to photography...well, actually 3 years new (lol).
I bought a Nikon D3000 in 2010. I didn't know how limited it was until I started to have vision problems last year. Two surgeries, one for a detached retina and then later on...cataract removal. I still am experiencing problems in my right eye (my shooting eye) and my doctor wants to do another surgery to correct the vision. I am a eyeglass wearer and being able to see properly this year has been somewhat frustrating.
Because is this Nikon D3000 is their first baby DSLR, I've been having the most difficult time trying to focus through the viewfinder and leaving the lenses in auto-focus, I cannot tell if it is accurate or not. To top it all off, I had to send it into Nikon for repair because the memory card slot is not working properly.
Well, I just found out today, they want $170 to fix it. That's much more than it is currently worth, I think.
So I don't know whether I should buy an upgrade to a Nikon D3200/D90/D7000, switch to Canon product (because I understand they have auto focus within the body) or suck it up and pay for the darn to be fixed. :confused:
Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!
PRB

grafxman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't speak to Nikon cameras but Canon's typically have a manual adjustment for the view finder. I too wear glasses so when I recently bought a Canon 6D, I did the same thing I did years ago with my 50D and 7D. I just autofocus on something and if it's out of focus through the viewfinder I manually adjust the little wheel adjacent to the viewfinder until the image is sharp. With Canon cameras that's all there is to it. It takes only a few seconds.

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon is the same way. There is an adjustment right beside the viewfinder.

Many Nikon bodies also have autofocus in the body itself. The only recent models that do not are the D3xxx series and D5xxx series, I'm not sure about the older bodies (D40-D80).

I can relate to the eye surgery problems. I had cataract surgery in my right eye and it took 2 years to get it straightened out. My eye doctor kept telling me every time I want that it was getting better, right up to the point that I fired him. I have a friend who is an ophthalmic surgeon but he lives 150 miles from me so I kept avoiding going to him. Finally did and he fixed it in just a few minutes with his laser.

I had my left eye done last year and have had absolutely zero problems with it since. Went in hardly able to see out of it and came out with excellent vision. The exact opposite of my right eye ordeal.

Benco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Canon DSLRs don't have autofocus motors in the body, none of them. All Canon (and Canon compatible) AF lenses have AF motors built in. A lot of Nikon cameras still have AF motors built in because the F mount has been around forever so including an AF motor in new cameras mean old screw drive AF lenses can still be used (and are still made for that matter).

It makes no odds anyway, autofocus is autofocus however it's driven.

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Canon DSLRs don't have autofocus motors in the body, none of them. All Canon (and Canon compatible) AF lenses have AF motors built in. A lot of Nikon cameras still have AF motors built in because the F mount has been around forever so including an AF motor in new cameras mean old screw drive AF lenses can still be used (and are still made for that matter).

This is correct, but I believe he was talking about the diopter adjustment, which is the thing that's relevant to his needs as described in the OP and is indeed in the camera body.

But yes, in case the OP meant that the actual motor is in the Canon bodies, it is not. It's in the lenses.

Benco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

This is correct, but I believe he was talking about the diopter adjustment, which is the thing that's relevant to his needs as described in the OP and is indeed in the camera body.

But yes, in case the OP meant that the actual motor is in the Canon bodies, it is not. It's in the lenses.

Thanks for the correction, I hadn't got that the OP was refering to diopter adjustment.

FWIW I used to struggle with using view finders with my glasses on until I got my D7000, it's got a nice clear, adjustable VF.

Most reactions

ClickASnap