decreasing the size of an image!

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do we decrease the size of an image?

I mean, decrease the 'weight' of an image. Say, from 70k to 20k

Decreasing the size will also decrease the file size.

I think what you are looking for is the "save for the web" option. Several programs let you adjust the quality to set the file size for optimal web use.

What software do you have?

Big Mike said:
Decreasing the size will also decrease the file size.

I think what you are looking for is the "save for the web" option. Several programs let you adjust the quality to set the file size for optimal web use.

What software do you have?

What do you mean what software do I have?? Software for what?

OS is XP.

Like what imaging software do you use, like Photoshop or Gimp or MS Photo Editor... You have to use something to resize the image.

You might be able to do a Save As, then go to Advanced Properties and change the Quality Setting. They often have a scale from 1 to 10. 10 would be highest quality and therefore biggest size.

You might also be able to just open the Properties for the file and change the resolution? I am not sure how that affects size and quality.

oriecat said:
Like what imaging software do you use, like Photoshop or Gimp or MS Photo Editor... You have to use something to resize the image.

You might be able to do a Save As, then go to Advanced Properties and change the Quality Setting. They often have a scale from 1 to 10. 10 would be highest quality and therefore biggest size.

You might also be able to just open the Properties for the file and change the resolution? I am not sure how that affects size and quality.

Ohh okay... I have both PS and MS. But I would prefer to work on PS and I have seen this scaling at PS. I'll try that and let you know if I need help on it.

Will it affect the picture clarity/quality when I pick a range between 1-5?

oriecat said:
Probably. Do it as a Save As a new name, then you could compare the two.

Thats what I plan to do.

Thanks orie for peeling my eyelids wide open :)

Most reactions

Back