Delusional Seller

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Check this seller out on eBay trying to sell what he thinks is a Leica II:

Should have checked with a qualified camera appraiser first.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know much about old cameras but would it not have any antique value.....?

There are lots of these Russian fakes out there and they do often fool the camera-clueless.

I once came upon a guy at a flea market selling a dozen of these things for $250 each and some poor fool was buying them thinking he'd struck the motherload. I told him they were fake but he thought I was trying to get them for myself and went ahead.

Given the number of WWII "military" Leicas in circulation, every German soldier and sailor must have been issued one--maybe two?

I don't know much about old cameras but would it not have any antique value.....?

Not when it's a Russian fake this bad. Screw thread Leica's don't have a threaded shutter release, that's an immediate giveaway. Some of the better fakes are themselves becoming slightly collectable but are still cheap.

Ian

I wrote to that eBay seller and told him it was a fake and advised him to Google: "How to Spot a Fake Leica"

So far, no response (not holding my breath).

Given the number of WWII "military" Leicas in circulation, every German soldier and sailor must have been issued one--maybe two?
I think officers were issued one a week. They wouldn't trust non commissioned ranks with them.

However reading the listing I'm pretty sure the seller isn't delusional, he's just hoping to snap a buyer that is.

Last edited:
I think officers were issued one a week. They wouldn't trust non commissioned ranks with them.
Dunno but every photo swap meet I've stumbled into over the past decade has had a few of those swastika-engraved Leica fakes attracting the gullible like flies to a dead cat--apologies to Orwell.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale as well. Jes sayin'. :smug:

I wrote to that eBay seller and told him it was a fake and advised him to Google: "How to Spot a Fake Leica"

So far, no response (not holding my breath).
He won't, that's for sure. Others have contacted him, to no avail. He keeps dreaming...

Most reactions

Back